The NRA called the president some names today. The president, on the other hand, spoke about guns today and challenged us to dicuss them in a reasonable manner. I can confirm that the Second Amendment did not burst into flames. He made some changes and then challenged Congress to actually do something about the things he shouldn't change on his own, because, y'know, he's reasonable like that.
- At 1:00, VP Biden talks about the tragedy these families repeatedly suffer through every day and the courage they show in the face of it.
- At 3:08, Biden explains just how many groups had input on these ideas. There are a lot of them. Including Congress.
- At 4:52, he quotes a Virginia Tech survivor, “I’m not here because of what happened to me, I’m here because what happened to me, keeps happening. And we have to do something about it.”
- At 5:35, President Obama starts laying out the plan.
- At 6:35, he starts listing off some of the unexpected people he heard from. Then we hear from them.
- At 7:55, he talks about what really matters.
- At 9:00, he talks about the tragic irony of our current situation. Over 900 people have died since Sandy Hook.
- At 10:20, he makes a really good point.
- At 10:40, he starts talking about the tangible things they are going to do.
- At 11:47, he says, "We don't benefit from ignorance." And I applaud.
- At 12:10, he puts the responsibility on Congress to act on the measures that he shouldn't use executive orders for, what with his not hating the constitution and all.
- At 13:30, he talks about the reasonable members of the NRA (the vast majority of them.)
- At 14:00, he tells Congress to do something about high capacity magazines.
- At 14:48, he shares an amazing quote from Ronald Reagan.
- At 15:30, he points out that Congress hasn't approved a director of the ATF for SIX YEARS.
- At 16:00, he speaks definitively about his stance on the Second Amendment.
- At 17:30, he calls out the fear mongers and pundit class who try to scare the hell out of everyone so nothing ever changes.
- At 18:00, he gives a shout-out to the vast majority of gun owners and challenges them to help.
- At 19:10, he calls out to ALL of us to do something.
- At 19:50, Obama and a little girl demand Congress be held accountable for their inaction, asking them some important questions, which gets a round of applause.
- At 21:10, Obama gives a history lesson on the founding fathers.
- At 21:45, he talks about the rights that were taken from others.
- At 22:55, he talks about a little girl who is no longer with us and makes me tear up.
- At 23:50, he explains why we have to do the right thing.
- At 24:36, he does the right thing.