They say that kids say the darnedest things, and seriously, they do. Anyone who has spent any significant amount of time with young children knows that sometimes the things they say can blow your mind.
Since teachers spend more time around little kids than anyone else, they are particularly privy to their profound and hilarious thoughts. That's why NYC kindergarten teacher Alyssa Cowit started collecting kid quotes from teachers around the country and sharing them on her Instagram account, Live from Snack Time, as well as her websiteand other social media channels.
Facebook user Joshua Seaman shared a collection of the quotes in a Facebook post that's been shared nearly 300,000 times in less than a week. People simply adore seeing the innocent, wholesome perspective of children—especially when they say something that makes us go, "SAME, little one. SAME"
For example, "I thought I needed a hug but I really need pancakes." That's a totally familiar feeling, kid. Totally.
Or the kid who said, "I am OK. I have more happy than I do sad." I mean, that's most of us on a basic level, right?
But the 7-year-old who said, "I'm not feeling very worky today," is literally all of us.
SAME, little one. SAME.
Some kids are just hilariously honest, like the 8-year-old who said, "My mom says I should just ignore people I don't like and well, that's you." Dang, that's harsh, Noah.
And heaven help the parents of the 7-year-old who said, "I appreciate my teachers for teaching me words that help me argue with my parents."
I'm seriously feeling this silver lining-finding 10-year-old who said, "I wanted detention so I could be alone and read my book. Thank you." I AM A MOTHER OF THREE. PUT ME IN DETENTION, PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
But nothing beats the realness of this 5-year-old sharing their weekend plans. "I'll tell you what I'm going to do this weekend. I'm not going to put a shirt on. Probably not pants either."
SAME, little one. SAME.
Sometimes kids are funny because they take everything literally. For example, the morally superior 5-year-old who didn't understand the phrase "piece of cake":
"She said it was a piece of cake.
But there was no cake at all.
She lied about the cake.
That's NOT something to be proud of."
And sometimes kids are funny because they replace unfamiliar words with ones they know better, turning weed into pasta sauce:
"My brother got in trouble for smoking marinara." - anonymous, 8 years old
But occasionally, kids come out with something sweetly profound, that makes you say, "Awww. True." Like this:
"When your heart is broken, it's like a thunderstorm on the inside." Right on, Joey. We feel that.
Or they show you in some unique way how big their little hearts can be—like 6-year-old Walter, who said, "Whenever you cry I wish I was a spider. Then I would spin you a tissue." Aww, thanks, Walter.
The quotes seem to be showing up everywhere. A clever Facebook user, Sharon Sturnfield, even assigned astrological signs to some of the kid quotes. (As a Pisces, I gotta say I totally feel seen by this.)
Kids really are the best. Keep those quotes coming, teachers. We can all use a little more innocent wholesomeness in our lives.
- This Actress Doesn't Believe In 'Post-Racial,' And Here's Why She's ... ›
- These badass teachers aren't taking Trump Jr.'s judgmental speech ... ›
- Upworthy ›
- A new kind of kindergarten design encourages kids to be their silly ... ›
- It Started When He Was Little, So It Was No Surprise Where He ... ›
- Upworthy ›
- Why back-to-school lists are so long and specific. And what's up with ... ›
- 'Are you OK with being just a teacher?' Here's one educator's mic ... ›
- Teacher tries to simulate a dictatorship in her classroom, but the ... ›
- Teachers shared how their students feel about the election. The ... ›
- 52 Of Our Favorite Inspirational Quotes For Teachers - ›
- 60 Teacher Quotes Every Educator Should Read ›
- Teacher Quotes - BrainyQuote ›
- 87 Education Quotes: Inspire Children, Parents, AND Teachers ›
- 50 of Our All-Time Favorite Classroom Quotes - WeAreTeachers ›
- 72 Encouraging and Inspirational Quotes for Teachers - Kid Activities ›
- Early Childhood Teacher Quotes. QuotesGram | Early childhood ... ›
- 10 Inspiring Teacher Quotes - Playdough To Plato ›
- Inspiring Quotes on Child Learning and Development - Vince Gowmon ›
- Teaching Quotes (1274 quotes) ›