Little Rock, Arkansas has found a unique way of dealing with litter around the city that's not only creating a cleaner community but also helping out the homeless.
In April 2019, the city began a six-month pilot program called Bridge to Work, paying homeless people $9.25 an hour – $2 more than the federal minimum wage – to collect trash off the streets. But it was so successful, Mayor Frank Scott Jr. recently extended through September 2020.
Canvas Community Church runs the program, employing eight people a day to pick up trash, clear weeds, and perform other cleaning tasks in exchange for cash and a meal, according to 12 News Now.
RELATED: Three young siblings started a candle company to pay for video games. Now they're giving back to help the homeless.
"We're super excited about what has gone on, and we hope to be able to keep the momentum going," Paul Atkins, an associate pastor at Canvas Community Church, said, according to the news station.
The program not only offers the homeless a paycheck, but also provides them access to mental and physical health services, as well as job interviews and, even temporary housing for some.
"We want to work with them on their next step," Atkins said. "There are a lot of barriers that our people experience to go from homelessness and panhandling to full-time work. There's a lot of steps in between."
As of September 2019, 380 people had joined the work crews, with some coming back multiple times. The group worked 1,821 hours, cleaned 130 sites, and collected 2,056 bags of trash within the first six months.
"It's positive. I'm giving back and making money, setting an example for my son," Harond Goodlow Jr., a participant in the program, told12 News Now.
To get involved, contact Canvas Community Church.
- In Arkansas, Homeless People Can Make $9.25 Cleaning The Streets ›
- Arkansas city paying homeless to collect litter in community | WGN-TV ›
- Arkansas city to pay homeless to pick up litter | FOX31 Denver ›
- Arkansas Scheme Paying Homeless $9.25 to Pick Up Garbage to ... ›
- Little Rock, Arkansas launches new program to pay homeless ... ›
- 'I'm giving back and making money': Homeless begin job picking up ... ›
- Little Rock, Arkansas Paying Homeless Residents to Pick Up Litter ›
- This city is paying homeless people $9.25 an hour to pick up street ... ›
- Arkansas city paying homeless $9.25 an hour to collect trash ›
- Arkansas program reportedly pays homeless people minimum wage ... ›