There's nothing like a good reunion story to get you misty in the ol' tear ducts. Kate Howard, the managing editor of Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting, shared a story of randomly running into the dog she used to foster on Twitter. You know all those dog reunion movies? The ones with names like A Dog's Hope and A Dog's Sloppy Kiss? The ones that make you cry buckets no matter how hard you think your heart is? Well, this is that, but in real life.
The dog was cute, a brown pitty girl with white markings. All dogs are perfect but she was particular charming. Her… https://t.co/sAj5UIaWz9— Kate Howard (@Kate Howard)1571100464.0
The name sounded familiar to Kate, and for a very good reason.
This immediately registered because last November, I fostered a dog for the first time over Thanksgiving. She was a… https://t.co/F6SLBX1DFX— Kate Howard (@Kate Howard)1571100477.0
I asked the woman whether she adopted Winnie with that name. She said yes, as she didn’t want to change her name an… https://t.co/Wue2DTJ5Zq— Kate Howard (@Kate Howard)1571100480.0
According to the American Humane Association, one in 10 pets are given up six months after they're adopted from a shelter, with destructive behaviors and disobedience cited in the top reasons why they're returned.
RELATED: Owning a dog can make you live longer. Science says soOwning a dog can make you live longer. Science says so
It turns out Winnie’s mom had recently lost a dog. When saw Winnie’s precious face on the Animal Services web site,… https://t.co/KPcHNmvBiq— Kate Howard (@Kate Howard)1571100482.0
Kate running into Winnie was – dare we say it – an act of destiny.
Now, I just moved into this house a couple months ago. And it turns out this house is a block over from Winnie! I w… https://t.co/yIQD6y7BKk— Kate Howard (@Kate Howard)1571100483.0
Winnie was also introduced to Kate's dog, Foxy.
Side note: Winnie loved foxy more than foxy loved Winnie 😂 https://t.co/Xtjx6veLRF— Kate Howard (@Kate Howard)1571151460.0
Kate's story resonated with other dog-owners and dog-lovers on Twitter.
@JournoKateH two of my dogs are looking at me right now wondering why I’m crying. this is beautiful. thank you for sharing.— Kevin, respected (@Kevin, respected)1571112739.0
@JournoKateH I have seen dogs who were fostered run into their foster mom at the dog park and run up to her and gre… https://t.co/1KrRdtJH8g— C S (@C S)1571140389.0
@JournoKateH Yes ago I had to find our dog a new home. We did, but everyday it was on my mind & I worried that he w… https://t.co/I4LOL5ulH9— Vicki Campbell 🇨🇦 (@Vicki Campbell 🇨🇦)1571136214.0
@KevINthe406 @JournoKateH My cat is sitting on my lap purring at me because of noise I'm making. Dogs make humans… https://t.co/hHjk9xD8tz— joyce c 🌈🇺🇸🐈☕🐈 (@joyce c 🌈🇺🇸🐈☕🐈)1571142167.0
@JournoKateH I am currently fostering a dog. You made my ugly cry and smile.— Gerri Boyce (@Gerri Boyce)1571103927.0
@JournoKateH My dog still gets excited when we see her foster moms around town 7 years later. Winnie will never for… https://t.co/wu3ktw46N2— Spooky Clever Username (@Spooky Clever Username)1571144036.0
Kate was also inspired by her own experience.
I have heard from so many of you who have loved rescue dogs and fostered yourselves. Thank you! I was SO sad after… https://t.co/B8RnqzKiyk— Kate Howard (@Kate Howard)1571150988.0
Taking a dog into your home also gives the dog a safe space to stay in until they're adopted. Sometimes a rescue group doesn't have space, so they rely people to take in dogs out of the goodness of their hearts. Other times, a dog is just too young to go into a shelter.
Fostering a dog can make all the difference in the life of a troubled pooch. It can help a dog iron out behavior issues, making them more likely to be accepted into their new home. Currently, 44% of households have dogs, and 23% of dogs were obtained through an animal shelter or humane society.
And sometimes it has a happy ending, like this story.
- https://www.upworthy.com/the-measles-outbreak-has-hit-new-york ... ›
- 9 things to know about kids in foster care. Plus an unforgettable view ... ›
- A rescue pit bull is so convinced he's a cat he even climbs up on the fridge - Upworthy ›
- Dog Reunites With Foster Mom | Mix 94.1 ›
- 2019 Rescue Reunion & Meet-up | NorCal GSP Rescue ›
- Dog Has Sweetest Reunion With Orphan Puppy She Raised ›
- Reunion Rescue-Saving Pit Bulls One Dog at a Time ›
- Mother of baby killed by dog in foster care thought family would be ... ›
- Rescue Dog Reunited With The Foster Mom Who Never Gave Up ... ›
- Second City Canine Rescue Reunion 2019 Registration, Sun, Aug ... ›
- Dog Reunited With Foster Mom For The First Time Since Her ... ›
- Foster Dog Failure Becomes Best Dog Reunion Ever! The ... ›
- Top 10 Reasons to Foster a Pet | Best Friends Animal Society ›
- Why I foster dogs | MNN - Mother Nature Network ›
- 8 Reasons Why You Should Foster Animals | PetSafe® Articles ›
- Why Fostering Dogs and Cats is So Important and How You Can Get ... ›
- 16 Reasons Why Fostering A Shelter Pet Is Basically The Best Thing ... ›
- Why Foster A Dog and What Does It Entail? | Petfinder ›
- Foster | Lucky Dog Animal Rescue ›
- Pets Available for Fostering | PAWS Chicago ›
- Rescue Stories of New Foster Dogs & Reunions of Recovered ... ›