Lady Gaga calls out interviewer's 'sexist' double standards when he asks about her 'provocative lyrics'
Lady Gaga has been crushing the game for over a decade, but a lot of the public is still catching up. The roaring success of "A Star Is Born" only multiplied Gaga's star power and now a whole new bevy of fans are discovering how outspoken she's been all this time.
As a female musician who writes her own music and is brazen about her own sexuality and politics, Gaga is no stranger to industry sexism and also no stranger to shutting it down on sight.
Last year, when Dr. Christine Blasey-Ford testified against Brett Kavanaugh, Gaga shared stirring words of solidarity during an appearance on "Late Night with Stephen Colbert."
In the viral clip, she emphasized just how brave it was for Blasey-Ford to come forward, and noted how trauma can deeply affect your process of recollection.
watch this and listen to every word she says https://t.co/dHYLxD7Xer— Gaga Daily (@Gaga Daily) 1538739940
RELATED: Lady Gaga gets best possible revenge on ex-classmates who bullied her with a Facebook group
Anyone familiar with her Gaga's evolution over the years already knows she has been speaking about sexism in its many forms ever since she was offered a microphone. But as her fame continues to grow, the message spreads further.
In a recently resurfaced clip from 2009, Gaga promptly shut down an interviewer when he asked if she was scared her "provocative lyrics would overshadow her talent."
10 years ago today, Lady Gaga shut down a sexist interviewer after he tried to diminish her music and videos for be… https://t.co/9pzPH43R2W— Lady Gaga Facts (@Lady Gaga Facts) 1564160917
Rather than pivoting from the question or giving a stock answer, Gaga used the opportunity to point out the gendered nature of the question.
"I'm not scared. Are you scared? You see, if I was a guy and I was sitting here with a cigarette in my hands grabbing my crotch talking about how I make music because I like fast cars and fucking girls, you'd call me a rock star. But when I do it in my music and video because I'm a female and I make pop music, you're judgemental and say it's distracting. I'm just a rock star."
Sadly, the sexism in the interview is still wildly relevant, so when a fan account reposted the clip over the weekend it immediately made waves.
@LGMonsterFacts when she says “i’m just a rockstar” at the end.. i felt that— f (@f) 1564185099
@LGMonsterFacts Too ahead of its time— mat (@mat) 1564163309
A lot of people are joking about how the interviewer must have felt flamed after receiving such a direct call-out.
RELATED: Lady Gaga gave an emotional Grammys speech about mental health we all need to hear
@markaverse @LGMonsterFacts How he walked out that interview https://t.co/5JmSnkXvhY— Orel Sanchez (@Orel Sanchez) 1564333055
@LGMonsterFacts She's literally SO intelligent and people just now are catching on— greg (@greg) 1564196315
@LGMonsterFacts The interviewer: https://t.co/xmMbUGh5ct— ZSB (@ZSB) 1564243263
Suffice it to say, Gaga is not a fan of sitting idly by when she sees a double standard being doled out willy nilly.
This article originally appeared on SomeeCards. You can read it here.
- Anyone who's lost a parent can relate to Prince Harry's candid chat ... ›
- Designing costumes for Lady Gaga didn't lead to this artist's big ... ›
- 5 years ago, Louis C.K. went on 'Conan' and told a story that ... ›
- Lady Gaga's powerful new video shows the reality of campus sexual ... ›
- 5 applause-worthy quotes from Lady Gaga's candid conversation ... ›
- Lady Gaga gave an emotional Grammys speech about mental ... ›
- Lady Gaga's dog-walker is recovering after assailants shot him and stole her two French bulldogs - Upworthy ›
- A woman stood up the man who bullied her as a teen - Upworthy ›
- Lady Gaga and Liza Minnelli had a touching moment at the Oscars ›
- Someone Save Lady Gaga From This Awkward Ryan Seacrest ... ›
- Lady Gaga and Ryan Seacrest's Grammys Interview Was So Awkward ›
- Ryan Seacrest slammed for awkward Lady Gaga interview | Canoe ›
- Lady Gaga One-On-One Interview | 2019 GRAMMYs - YouTube ›
- Lady Gaga Deserves an Oscar Just for Her 'A Star Is Born' Interviews ... ›
- Lady Gaga Tells Ellen Why She Can't Let Go of 'A Star Is Born ... ›
- Lady Gaga's First Interview with Ellen! ›
- Lady Gaga on Oscar Win & Being “In Love” with Bradley Cooper ... ›
- Lady Gaga Vogue Cover: The Singer Opens Up About A Star Is Born ... ›
- Full Interview: Lady Gaga Talks To Stephen Colbert - YouTube ›