Judge claims teen rapist should be given leniency because he 'comes from a good family.'
This is not ok.
A family court judge has continually shown leniency to a 16-year-old boy who raped a 16-year-old girl because he is "from a good family," who "put him into an excellent school where he is doing extremely well," according to the New York Times. The judge also said that it should have been explained to the victim that pressing charges would ruin the boy's life.
The assault happened at a pajama party in New Jersey, where the victim was heavily intoxicated. The boy filmed himself penetrating her from behind, and sent out the video he took as a text with the words, "When your first time having sex was rape." In the video, the girl's head is seen hanging down, and her torso exposed.
But Judge James Troiano said this wasn't rape, claiming rape is something that is reserved for cases where the victim is held at gunpoint. This, he claims, is sexual assault, and should be treated differently.
So when the prosecutor put in a motion to try the boy as an adult, Judge Troiano denied it, saying, "He is clearly a candidate for not just college but probably for a good college."
Prosecutors detailed the rape, saying before the assault, a group of boys sprayed Febreze on her backside and slapped it so hard that she had hand prints on it the next day. Following the assault, her friends found her vomiting on the floor, and she was driven home by a friend's mother.
The victim, who has asked to remain unnamed, woke up confused by her torn clothes and bruising, but told her mother that she feared sexual things had happened to her.
In addition to claiming there is a distinction between rape and sexual assault, Judge Troiano has claimed that the video and text message this teen boy sent his friends -- where he himself calls what he did "rape" -- is "just a 16-year-old kid saying stupid crap to his friends."
Judge Troiano has been rebuked by an appeals court with a 14-page ruling that calls out the judge for showing bias towards privileged teenagers. Sounds about right.
This article originally appeared on SomeeCards. You can read it here.
- A random man on the train thought it was OK to reach under her shirt ... ›
- This guy's disturbing group chat shows how easy it is for men to ... ›
- The One Where A Teen Has Hundreds Of Shoes And Does ... ›
- She was sold as a sex slave for $73. Then she was sold again. And ... ›
- If You Heard A Prison Rape Joke In A Kids' Movie, Would You Even ... ›
- After a teen is fatally shot, an NBA star steps in to help a grieving ... ›
- This Anti-Abortion Dude Is Awfully Eager To Make Sure Sexually ... ›
- An immigration lawyer's viral post reminds us that every statistic is a ... ›
- Watch A Brave Little Girl Take On Her Rapists, Her Village, And Her ... ›
- Two adult men who raped teen girls have walked this week. WTF is ... ›
- N.J. judge cited good grades and Eagle Scout status of teen ... ›
- New Jersey judge under fire for going easy on accused rapist ›
- Judge: Teen Accused of Rape 'Comes From Good Family' ›
- Teenager Accused of Rape Deserves Leniency Because He's From a ›
- NJ Judge Says Teen Accused of Rape Was From a 'Good Family' ›
- Judge Under Fire For Touting Boy's 'Good Family,' 'Excellent School ... ›
- Judge under scrutiny after arguing teen accused of rape deserved ... ›
- NJ judge slammed for pointing out accused teen's 'good family' in ... ›
- New Jersey judge spared teen rape suspect because he came from ... ›
- Teen accused of rape deserves leniency because of his 'good family ... ›