Putting your pet in cargo during a flight isn't always safe. In 2016, the Department of Transportation reported a total of 26 pet deaths and 22 injuries on flights. Because conditions in cargo can be uncomfortable for animals, the Humane Society recommends taking your pet aboard when you fly, or just leaving it at home.
It's not surprising that one Russian man didn't want to put his overweight cat in cargo during an eight-hour flight from Moscow to Vladivostok. What is surprising is the great lengths he took to fly with his four-legged friend.
Russian airline Aeroflot allows pets to fly inside the plane's cabin, as long as the cat weighs under 17.6 pounds and stays in its carrier during the flight. When Mikhail Galin went to check in, he was told he couldn't fly with his four-year old cat, Viktor. Viktor weighed in at 22 pounds and would have to be relegated to cargo.
But Viktor was sick from their earlier flight from Riga, Latvia to Moscow. And besides, Viktor had been allowed to fly inside the cabin during that flight. The airline staff didn't even bother to make Viktor sit on the scales. Galin was unable to persuade staff to bring his fur baby on board.
"To all attempts to explain that the cat won't survive there on an 8-hour flight with the baggage and would haunt her in her nightmares for the rest of her life, she (the Aeroflot staff member) replied that there are rules," Galin wrote in a Facebook post translated from Russian.
- Sick of picture-perfect social media posts, a mom got real about the ... ›
- Testing for HIV is now as easy as seeing if you're pregnant. - Upworthy ›
- American Airlines has apologized for demanding a black woman ... ›
- Let's talk tampons and everything that is — and isn't — in them ... ›
- A request from your fat friend: what I need when we talk about bodies. ›
- This Famous Actress Was A Teenage Feminist And Proud Of It ... ›
- How pilots deal with stress can teach us all something about the ... ›
- 6 songs that seem romantic but aren't, and one that seems like it isn't ... ›
- After smuggling fat cat on board a flight against the rules, Aeroflot ... ›
- Wide-body aircraft - Wikipedia ›
- An Airplane Passenger's Cat-Swap Gets Found Out : NPR ›
- Russian Man Gets Overweight Cat on Flight Using a Body Double ... ›
- Russian man loses airline miles for sneaking 'fat cat' on flight ›
- Russian Cat Was Too Fat For Flight, So Owner Hired A Body Double ... ›
- Overweight Cat Body-Double Flight Scam Leaves Owner Without ... ›
- Too fat to fly? Cat owner tricks airline with feline BODY DOUBLE ... ›
- An overweight cat was denied by a Russian airline. His owner ... ›
- Fat cat needs body double to board Russian plane | World | The Times ›
- Man reportedly loses 400,000 airline miles for sneaking 'fat cat' onto ... ›
- Man loses air miles for trying to smuggle fat cat onto flight using ... ›
- Overweight cat body-double flight scam leaves owner without ... ›