Meghan Markle delivers powerful speech on gender-based violence in South Africa: 'I am here with you as a woman of color and as your sister'
Gender-based violence in South Africa is not just a problem, it's a "national crisis," according to South Africa's president, Cyril Ramaphosa. Official figures state 137 sexual offences are committed each day, and more than 30 women were killed by their spouses last month. Between April 2018 and March 2019, an alarming 66,992 sexual offenses were reported.
The country is working to combat the problem, and this week, girls received support in the form of an inspirational speech from Meghan Markle. During a royal tour of South Africa, the Duchess and Prince Harry visited Cape Town's Nyanga township to speak out against gender-based violence. Nyanga is known as South Africa's "murder capital," with 289 murders reported in the area last year alone.
While in South Africa, the royal couple visited Justice Desk, a human rights group that helps girls who've been the victims of rape and abuse. There, Meghan and Harry danced with children, heard personal stories from women affected by gender-based violence in the region, and watched girls take a self-defense class.
Meghan spoke to a crowd of 250 people, bringing them a message of hope. "We are encouraged to hear your president take the next step towards preventing gender-based violence through education and necessary changes to reinforce the values of modern South Africa. I have to say, I feel incredibly humble to be in the presence of all of you as you stand firm in your core values of respect, dignity, and equality," the Duchess said.
- Do you think these people were created equal after seeing these ... ›
- This science fair winner is taking on global drought using oranges ... ›
- 17 badass photos to remind you there's nothing women can't do ... ›
- The story behind the viral family portraits shot on a former plantation ... ›
- Meghan Markle makes powerful speech on race in South Africa ... ›
- Meghan Markle tells South Africa: 'I'm here as a woman of colour ... ›
- Meghan Markle speaks about her race for the first time as a royal ... ›
- Meghan Markle Arrives in South Africa With Archie and Harry and ... ›
- Hear Meghan Markle's Powerful South Africa Tour Speech ›
- Meghan Markle Proudly Calls Herself a 'Woman of Color' in Africa ... ›
- Meghan Markle speaks about being a "woman of colour'' for the first ... ›
- Meghan Markle says she's visiting South Africa as 'a woman of color ... ›
- Meghan Markle Tells South Africa: I'm Here With You 'As A Woman ... ›
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle kick off Africa tour — see the pics ›
- Everything Meghan Markle Wore on Her South Africa Tour | Vanity Fair ›
- Meghan Markle & Prince Harry Africa Tour Details - Meghan & Harry ... ›
- Meghan Markle tells South Africa: 'I am here as a woman of colour ... ›
- Meghan Markle Wears a Maxi Dress and Headscarf to South Africa ... ›