Just about everyone with a job has fantasized about they day they quit. First, you turn in your two weeks notice, then you get to become a short-timer and no one expects anything from you for the end of your stint.
Then, you might get a cake or a happy hour in your name.
There's also the part where you get to tell everyone how you really feel about them:
"John in sales, I never really liked you."
"Reba in accounting, I'll actually miss your smiling face."
"Jason in marketing, everyone talks smack about you behind your back."
Plus, there's a subtle sense of petty joy that comes with being able to willfully leave a workplace where other people are stuck slaving away. Especially if the new gig pays better.
Sam Baines, a 22-year-old who worked at a call center in Sheffield, England found a clever way to tell his boss he was leaving. he sent him a condolences card.
The front of the card reads: "So very sorry for your loss."
On the inside, Baines wrote: "My last day at work is the 28th July."
The card was shared on Twitter by his his soon-to-be former coworker Hannah, where it has earned over 430,000 likes and 76,000 retweets.
one of our team members handed in their notice like this 😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/tqc9Hn6ODE
— h. (@bitchitshan) June 27, 2019
Some funny folks on Twitter responded with their goofy going-away notices.
I took it just a bit further. pic.twitter.com/jW74isf4Hj
— James R. (@1jamesbianco) June 27, 2019
That's nice, beat this one though. @Cgyq
People still remind me of this letter that I wrote, from time to time. pic.twitter.com/kJREYzrgYY
— 🇨🇦hopkins🇨🇦Ⓥ (@brainwrinkler) June 28, 2019
I've done this too lmao pic.twitter.com/vV5yZKAugf
— 🌹 (@deepaksxo) June 27, 2019
Omg! We used the same card!! 😂 pic.twitter.com/QO6zEEhiPH
— Whitney Kemp (@texasgirlincali) June 27, 2019
I should have done this. 😂 all I did was attach this to my 2 weeks. pic.twitter.com/Mxe1EFkkHg
— gabz (@gabbieayee) June 28, 2019
Also a cool way to hand in your notice: pic.twitter.com/6Nn5b6BciP
— Andrew H 🇨🇦 (@BlockCAN1) June 27, 2019
this was mine pic.twitter.com/1RVLe96zZy
— Kevin Kelley 🐀🍒 (@kevinankelley) June 28, 2019
This was mine pic.twitter.com/ZYf8ULL2wi
— Ruben Valencia Villanueva (@Sleepyheadroo) June 27, 2019
Baines had to quit his job because he's returning to his university in September. "We are a really close team and have a fantastic manager, so we're always joking around and having fun,"
he told Insider. "I knew I had to do something a little more creative when giving my notice to try and get one more joke in before I left!"
Hannah says that everyone in the office took the joke well. "Everyone was laughing and pretty amused with the card," she said. "It was done in good spirit and not as a petty reaction as some people think."
According to his coworkers it appears as though Baines will definitely be missed at the job and his going away joke was so funny it's doubtful that he'll soon be forgotten.
- 8 Hours After Quitting Smoking … What Happens To Your Body ... ›
- A meditation teacher's 5 tips for breaking your screen addiction once ... ›
- An Unbelievable Confession From One Of The Biggest Men In The ... ›
- The Shocking Reality Of What Is 'Hidden In The Harvest' - Upworthy ›
- A CEO raised everyone's salary to $70,000/year. The backlash ... ›
- 'Queer Eye's' Tan France: I took the job to be blunt to, and befriend ... ›
- The 'Cosby' actor job-shamed for bagging groceries just landed a ... ›
- Dear World: You're Not Going To End On December 21. Sincerely ... ›
- A celebrated teacher's 5-point explanation of why she's quitting has ... ›
- 14 years ago, she quit her job and started farming. Here's a look at ... ›
- Should I Quit My Job? 15 Things To Consider If You're Unhappy At ... ›
- Why quitting your job without a backup plan can help your career ›
- 4 signs you should definitely quit your job ›
- Pick one of these 7 ways to quit your job ›
- 6 common mistakes to avoid when quitting your job ›
- How to Resign From Your Job and Leave On Good Terms ›
- What I Learned From Quitting My Job With No Plan - The Muse ›
- Top 10 Good Reasons to Quit Your Job ›
- How to Quit Your Job | Glassdoor Guides ›
- How to Quit Your Job - Resigning ›