What Kim Kardashian did versus what Angelina Jolie did in 2014 (and more)
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ... and maybe some days it felt like the end of times.
Ho. Ly. Cow.
So much can happen in a year! And yet, so little can seem to have changed!
When it comes to the steady march forward (it's moving forward, right?!) of progress for women, it's been one step Jolie, then two steps Kardashian. Then four steps forward and one step back.
I mean, on the one hand, a girl who isn't even 18 yet won the Nobel Peace Prize for advocating women's rights. On the other hand, an extremist group kidnapped hundreds of girls. Terrifying.
The roller coaster of highs and lows are truly enough to give a person motion sickness. But Phoebe Greenwood's four-minute year-in-review won't. In spite of some you-can't-not-mention-them downers, her video is funny, informative, and galvanizing.
Here's looking forward to a 2015 with more equality, opportunity, and humanity for all.
Feeling itchy for some links to follow up? It's Fact Check Time!
- Yaaassss!100 women were elected to U.S. Congress.
- *AND* 22 countries were led by women.
- Forbes ranked two women among the world's top 10 most powerful people. Here's the list.
- But ... 38% of women murdered globally are killed by their partners, according to theWHO.
- In 2013, 99.3% Egyptian women reported being harassed at least once.
- Yes, Tony Abbott actually said women were "physiologically unsuited to leadership."