The comedian who called out Harvey Weinstein is now getting the support she should have gotten from the venue
Some say that cancel culture doesn't exist. You can complain about somebody's bad behavior all you want, but at the end of the day, the person who has abused their power is going to stay in power. Case in point, Harvey Weinstein who's just walking around and doing his thing while he awaits his January trial for sexual assault and rape. Things like attending actor showcases in Manhattan.
When Weinstein showed his face at Actors Hour, stand-up Kelly Bachman called out Harvey Weinstein during his set. Bachman, a sexual assault survivor, felt she couldn't let it slide. "It's my job to name the elephant in the room," she said during her set. "I have been raped, surprisingly by no one in this room, but I've never gotten to confront those guys. So, just a general fuck you." She received boos, and someone even told her to shut up.
Weinstein was also confronted by attendees Zoe Stuckless and Amber Rollo, who were both kicked out for approaching him.
Alexandra Laliberte, host of Actors Hour, later apologized in a lengthy Instagram post. She said she "did not consider the underlying implications of Mr. Weinstein's presence and was naively overwhelmed by the entire situation that unfolded." Weinstein will not be returning to the event.
While the venue didn't do anything to make the people who complained feel safe and supported, they did receive support on Twitter for having the guts to call him out. Celebrities, including Weinstein accuser Rose McGowan, as well as non-celebrities have been calling Bachman the hero we all need.
Bachman says she was just saying what needed to be said. "I was really trying to just say something, and in the moment, I really felt like I could have said more, and I really felt like I had let down other survivors by not saying more," she told CNN. "They're my heroes for speaking out and I hope I did right by them in some way."
It's almost as if this event was one giant metaphor for the Harvey Weinstein scandal. Sure, those who spoke out at the event were silenced at first, but ultimately, their voices were heard louder because they had the courage to do the right thing and speak out.
- Women Confront Harvey Weinstein at New York Actors Event, Asked ... ›
- Speaking With the Actor Who Confronted Harvey Weinstein at a Bar ›
- Harvey Weinstein Gets Confronted By Women While Attending ... ›
- 3 Women Confronted Harvey Weinstein at a New York City Club ›
- Harvey Weinstein confronted by multiple people at New York City bar ›
- Women escorted out after confronting Harvey Weinstein at New York ... ›
- 'Freddy Krueger in the room': women confront Harvey Weinstein at ... ›
- Harvey Weinstein confronted by comedians at Actors Hour | Metro ... ›
- Harvey Weinstein Walked Into a Comedy Club. Here's How That ... ›
- Harvey Weinstein confronted by performer during her comedy set ›
- the comedian who confronted Harvey Weinstein ›
- Harvey Weinstein: Comedy event apologizes for 'triggering ... ›
- Harvey Weinstein confronted by comic Kelly Bachman during ... ›
- Harvey Weinstein was in the audience at a variety show. A comic ... ›
- Harvey Weinstein comedy show incident: people are still protecting ... ›
- Harvey Weinstein Was Heckled By A Comedian, Women At New ... ›
- Comic who called out Harvey Weinstein during a New York show ... ›
- Comedian who confronted Harvey Weinstein recalls 'surreal ... ›