The gold standard test for determining someone's honesty is seeing what that they do with a lost wallet. Do they keep it? Attempt to return it to the person who lost it? Or do they pocket the money and then dump it in a mailbox?
A researcher in Finland wanted to find out just how honest his countrymen were by posing as a tourist and dropping off a supposedly "lost" wallet with an employee at a local business and asking them to take care of it.
After the initial findings, the researchers hypothesized that if he added a larger sum of money in the billfold, fewer people would return the wallet. A poll of 279 top-performing academic economists agreed. But this time, the researchers decided to conduct the study on a larger scale.
Over two years, they staged over 17,000 wallet drops in 335 cities in 40 countries across the world and discovered that people are probably more honest than you think. The wallets were all about the same. They held a few business cards, a key, a grocery list. Some contained about $13 while others had no cash.
- She was sexually assaulted, denied restitution and fined for ... ›
- Adults drop their wallets next to kids to see what they will do. It's a ... ›
- The Internet lost it (in a good way) after this Olympian came out as gay. ›
- How a First Nation town's kids nearly lost then re-found their identity ... ›
- She raised her son and daughter right. Now, they're taking care of ... ›
- I Was Totally Lost For 70 Seconds. And Then: 'Holy Sh*t.' - Upworthy ›
- A News Anchor Completely Lost It. I'm Really Glad He Did. - Upworthy ›
- A stranger found a lost library book and returned it with this ... ›
- Andy Murray lost at Wimbledon, but his post-match interview was a ... ›
- Hillary Clinton sent an inspiring letter to this 8-year-old girl who lost ... ›
- It's Hard to Cope with a Lost Wallet | Psychology Today ›
- 10 Things You Should Do Immediately After Losing Your Wallet ›
- Scientists Used 17,000 "Lost" Wallets to Study How Honest People ... ›
- What Should I Do If My Wallet Is Lost or Stolen? - ABC News ›
- Researchers 'Lost' 17,000 Wallets in Hundreds of Cities to See What ... ›
- Lost wallets are more likely to be returned if they hold cash | Science ... ›
- Would You Return This Lost Wallet? - The New York Times ›
- Experiment with 'lost' wallets reveals that people are surprisingly ... ›
- Lost or Stolen Wallet? Here's What to Do | Experian ›
- 11 Steps to Take If You Lose Your Wallet ›