Did you know that the simple act of smiling can trick your brain into feeling better, improve your health, and even help you live longer? It's true. Science says.
If you're looking for a reason to smile, here are ten of them.
1. The way this grandma says, "I'm so happy to see you!"
A young woman shared that her grandma always comes to check on her when she hasn't come out of her room for a while. "You want some food???" This is just too wholesome. Watch the whole thing.
2. These two geese were mesmerized by a man playing harmonica in a Taipei park.
Qiqi and Fanfan are into it, y'all. Listen to them try to join in a few times.
Geese gather around man playing the harmonica at the Daan Forest Park in Taipei. The geese are named Qiqi and Fanf… https://t.co/F0vQxiW4T6— GoodNewsCorrespondent (@GoodNewsCorrespondent)1631805548.0
3. Ryan Reynolds and a special guest singing six-part harmony? Yes, please.
The Grace Kelly TikTok challenge had people singing the chorus to Mika's 2007 song "Grace Kelly" with various harmonies. I won't give away the cameo here, in case you haven't seen it yet. So fun. Read more about it here.
Late to the Grace Kelly Tik Tok trend but WAY early for our Christmas movie musical. 🎵 ➡️ @mikasounds https://t.co/QdpfMv7QJw— Ryan Reynolds (@Ryan Reynolds)1631578757.0
4. This dad knew his daughter was a prankster, and yet she managed to trick him anyway.
Aryanna's got skills. Dad knows she's got skills. The way he immediately looks all around for traps and still gets surprised. That grin on her face, too. So dang funny. Read the full story here.
5. Norm MacDonald's heartwarming advice to a fan who lost his mother.
The iconic comedian's passing at 61 came as a surprise, but his advice for how to handle grief is a lesson for us all: "Take all the love you have for her, Pablo, and give it freely to all that you meet. Your mom will look down upon you, happy and proud."
6. A Portland cat cafe reopened, and all the cats up for adoption got homes in less than a day.
First of all, the cafe is called Purrington's. I mean, come on. Second of all, it's a cafe where you can hang out with cats that need homes, which is awesome. The cafe had hit some snags in recent years with COVID restrictions and whatnot, but on the day of its reopening, every cat got a home. Yay for the kitties. Read the full story here.
7. This is seriously the greatest "walk of shame" I've ever seen.
At first, you're thinking, "Why is that guy walking into a park pond?" Then it's, "Ooooh. I see." Then finally, "OMG that right there is what living life to its fullest looks like."
The walk of shame.. 😅 https://t.co/QAc7ckPV0Q— Buitengebieden (@Buitengebieden)1631558334.0
8. The U.S. is reportedly buying 500 million more vaccines to donate to the rest of the world.
We're all in this together, literally. The only way we're going to get the pandemic under control is to make sure everyone has access to COVID vaccines. The need is great, but we're stepping up to help meet it. Love to see the U.S. taking leadership on this front.
Read the full story here.
Photo by Mat Napo on Unsplash
9. New Zealand firefighters offer a Haka to honor the first responders who perished on 9/11.
Okay, this one might make you smile and cry at the same time. Such a beautiful offering and reminder of how connected we all are.
10. Watch this street photographer help an elderly Italian woman see her own beauty.
Dino Serrao's TikTok channel is the place to go when you want to be reminded of the unique beauty in every human being. All of his videos are great, but this one is so heartwarming. Their interaction is so sweet, but her recognizing her own gorgeousness after initially telling him she didn't want her picture taken is just wonderful.
@dino.serrao 👵🏻 Beauty in Her wrinkles ♥️ #fyp #viral #photographyeveryday #streetphotography #spreadlove #people #portrait #beauty #nonna #love #spreadkindness
♬ Becoming Everything - Kamikaze Kitty
I hope that brought a little joy and hope into your day! Come back to Upworthy again next Friday for ten more reasons to smile. :)
- 10 things that made us smile this week ›
- When you ask people around the world what makes them happy ... ›
- Pharrell's 'Happy' in sign language is even better than the original ... ›