Service dogs are invaluable to their owners because they are able to help in so many different ways.
They're trained to retrieve dropped Items, open and close doors, help their owners remove their clothes, transport medications, navigate busy areas such as airports, provide visual assistance, and even give psychological help.
The service dog trainers at K-9 Country Inn Working Service Dogs in Canada want those who require service dogs to live the fullest life possible, so they're training dogs on how to attend a theatrical performance.
The adorable photos of the dogs made their way to social media where they quickly went viral.
ICYMI: We had some pawsitivly adorable audience members from K-9 Country Inn Service Dogs during last weeks Relaxed Performance of #sfBillyElliot. Our Next Relaxed Performance is #sfNeverending on October 2nd. https://t.co/xaBwx65W8J pic.twitter.com/otyNjm5pUS
— Stratford Festival (@stratfest) August 15, 2019
On August 15, a dozen dogs from Golden Retrievers to poodles, were treated to a performance of "Billy Elliott" at the Stratford Festival in Ontario, Canada. This was a special "relaxed performance" featuring quieter sound effects and lighting, designed for those with sensory issues.
"It's important to prepare the dogs for any activity the handler may like to attend," Laura Mackenzie, owner and head trainer at K-9 Country Inn Working Service Dogs, told CBC.
"The theater gives us the opportunity to expose the dogs to different stimuli such as lights, loud noises, and movement of varying degrees," she continued. "The dogs must remain relaxed in tight quarters for an extended period of time."
The dogs got to enjoy the show from their own seats and took a break with everyone else during intermission. They were able to familiarize themselves with the theater experience so they know how to navigate through crowds and fit into tight bathroom stalls.
"About a dozen dogs came to our relaxed performance, and they were all extremely well-behaved," says Stratford Festival spokesperson Ann Swerdfager. "I was in the lobby when they came in, then they took their seats, then got out of their seats at intermission and went back — all of the things we learn as humans when we start going to the theater."
The dogs' great performance at the trial run means that people who require service animals can have the freedom to enjoy special experiences like going to the theater.
"It's wonderful that going to the theater is considered one of the things that you want to train a service dog for, rather than thinking that theater is out of reach for people who require a service animal, because it isn't," Swerdfager said.
The Stratford Festival runs through Nov. 10 and features productions of "The Merry Wives of Windsor," "The Neverending Story," "Othello," "Billy Elliot," "Little Shop of Horrors," "The Crucible" and more.
- This gang of Chihuahuas is why older dogs deserve all the love in ... ›
- Love dogs? This woman's amazing corgi rescue group will fill you ... ›
- How a deaf dog became an agility champ with a little love and a lot of ›
- This Filipino holiday tradition has made its way stateside. And ... ›
- Science Says: Here's The Truth About Aggressive Dogs - Upworthy ›
- What made this adorable little girl stop dancing to her favorite song ... ›
- A service dog puts her many impressive skills on display in this ... ›
- 31 Days of Happiness Countdown: 'Meower Rangers.' (Day 5 ... ›
- This heroic rescue pup saved dozens of lives. Now there's an ... ›
- 101 Books To Read This Summer Instead of '50 Shades of Grey ... ›
- These Service Dogs Attended A Relaxed Performance Of 'Billy Elliot ... ›
- Service Dogs Give Two Paws Up To Billy Elliot | The Bark ›
- Adorable photo of service dogs watching 'Billy Elliot' in theater will ... ›
- Sweet Photo Of Service Dogs Enjoying Theatre Performance ... ›
- A crew of Canadian service dogs watched a live musical as part of ... ›
- Service Dogs Attend Performance of BILLY ELLIOT in Canada ›
- Adorable photo of dogs watching 'Billy Elliot: The Musical' goes viral ›
- Very Good Service Dogs Watch 'Billy Elliot: The Musical' At The ... ›
- Photo of Service Dogs Sitting Through a Performance of Billy Elliot ... ›
- Canadian service dogs attend 'Billy Elliot' production, photo goes ... ›