Your first period is always a weird one. You know it's going to happen eventually, but you're not always expecting it. One day, everything is normal, then BAM. Puberty hits you in a way you can't ignore.
One dad is getting attention for the incredibly supportive way he handled his daughter's first period. "So today I got 'The Call,'" Maverick Austin started out a Facebook post that has now gone viral.
The only thing is, Austin didn't know he got "the call." His 13-year-old thought she pooped her pants. At that age, your body makes no sense whatsoever. It's a miracle every time you even think you know what's going on.
Austin went over to the school to help her out. "So I rush to school take her a change of undies, put the old ones in a bag and rush back to my conference call and threw the bag in the kitchen trash," he said.
"A few hours later, she calls and I had to put a very important work meeting I'm hosting on hold which I never do. She says, 'Dad it happened again.' I'm confused and very annoyed because I'm super busy. I yell 'just wipe your butt better then stuff toilet paper in the back of your pants and I'll have to call you back in an hour!'"
Austin eventually figured out what was up, then put everything on hold so he could support his daughter during this milestone. "I interrupt my project meeting and explain to my banking colleagues that I'm VERY sorry but I have to go! I'm racing to the school while calling them telling the nurse to go find my child! [I'm] speeding and having a panic attack because my child called me for help and I just left her to die on the battlefield!" he wrote.
"I run into the office and she's standing there very calmly looking at me and says, 'Dad, I officially started my first . . .' and I stopped her and said, 'I already know Avi . . . it hit me a few minutes after I hung up on you.' The stress of raising a daughter!"
Austin's stellar parenting skills don't end there. "Later on she asked, 'Don't I get something like when a tooth falls out?' So I snuck off to the store and when she got out of the shower I told her the period fairy brought her something."
Can we please start the Period Fairy as a thing, now? It would really take the edge off of realizing you're now doomed to periods once a month every month - and all that goes with it - until what feels like the end of time.
It's commendable that this dad was there for his daughter when she needed him. Entering womanhood can be wonky, but it's easier when you have supportive parents to lean on. We might have a nominee for the Dad of the Year Award.
- Telling dad about a daughter's period: parenting advice from Care ... ›
- My dad jokes about my first period - BBC News ›
- Parents are throwing their daughters period parties ›
- The secret to… preparing your daughter for her periods | Life and ... ›
- BBC News - 'My comedian dad jokes about my first period on stage ... ›
- My autistic daughter coped with getting her first period much better ... ›
- Mom's Homemade First-Period Kit for Her Daughter Goes Viral for ... ›
- BBC One - How one single dad dealt with his daughter's first period ... ›
- How one single dad dealt with his daughter's first period ›
- A Dad Found Out His Daughter Got Her Period For the First Time ... ›
- Dad praised for the brilliant way he handled his daughter's first period ›
- Hey, dads! Are you ready for your daughter's first period? ›
- Dads, Daughters and Menstruation: How to Survive Your Daughter's ... ›
- What dad needs to know about his daughter's first period - Banner ... ›
- Father's Experience With Daughter's First Period | POPSUGAR Family ›