Being a celebrity must suck, because you can't talk about personal decisions without everyone feeling they need to have their say. However, some celebrities just don't care what the haters think and are going to live their lives how they see fit. Nobody does it better than actress and activist Jameela Jamil.
Earlier this year, Jamil revealed she had an abortion seven years ago. "I had an abortion when I was young, and it was the best decision I have ever made. Both for me, and for the baby I didn't want, and wasn't ready for, emotionally, psychologically and financially. So many children will end up in foster homes. So many lives ruined. So very cruel," she wrote on Twitter. Jamil decided to reveal her abortion after Georgia's controversial fetal heartbeat abortion law was passed.
Now, Jamil says she's living her best life, because her decision was not a "mistake" – even if other people see it that way.
"Receiving THOUSANDS of messages about how I made a mistake having an abortion 7 years ago and how I must be a miserable person. I am in fact a happy, thriving multi millionaire, madly in love, with free time, good sleep and a wonderful career and life. But thanks for checking," the "Good Place" actress wrote on Twitter.
Receiving THOUSANDS of messages about how I made a mistake having an abortion 7 years ago and how I must be a miser… https://t.co/BfSrZzBQr3— Jameela Jamil 🌈 (@Jameela Jamil 🌈)1575669685.0
Jamil said that the baby would have had a very different life had she chosen to give birth. The actress wasn't a "thriving multi-millionaire" at that point in her life.
@brummydave Wouldn’t have been a life like mine. Would have been a kid born to a mother who didn’t want it, who was… https://t.co/WQct0N9N6D— Jameela Jamil 🌈 (@Jameela Jamil 🌈)1575669984.0
Jamil also acknowledged that she worked her way out of a different financial situation that would have made it difficult for her to raise a child.
@fantasminoo @gregboraman Well I was poor. And I found it inspiring to see someone self made, (especially a woman o… https://t.co/coV5n5Ejpt— Jameela Jamil 🌈 (@Jameela Jamil 🌈)1575672346.0
Not everyone saw the issue the same way Jamil did, with some feeling she was flippant in her attitudes towards abortion and her wealth. Jamil responded to accusations of bragging by saying she was simply stating facts. Jamil was trying to show what women can achieve when they're allowed to have control over their bodies and live their lives the way they want.
@gregboraman You can’t handle a woman bragging. This is what women can achieve when we are given autonomy over our… https://t.co/zpjzVU9UR0— Jameela Jamil 🌈 (@Jameela Jamil 🌈)1575670435.0
RELATED: James Blake made a great point about sexism after claims his famous girlfriend 'inspired' new album
Other Twitter users had Jamil's back, and she said she was grateful for the support she received. Additionally, Jamil pointed out it's important for WOC to see other WOC thrive.
Didn’t expect to receive so much love for ⬆️ tweet. And anyone who feels uncomfortable with the fact that I shouted… https://t.co/F8J0Olvtw8— Jameela Jamil 🌈 (@Jameela Jamil 🌈)1575756390.0
She had one final message to her haters.
A lot of anti-abortion trolls keep telling those of us who are pro-choice... to “stop spreading our legs...” if we… https://t.co/VI39KfNv9v— Jameela Jamil 🌈 (@Jameela Jamil 🌈)1575850443.0
Abortion isn't a "one size fits all" issue. What works for someone isn't always going to work for someone else, and people shouldn't feel like they're being shamed for their decisions.
- https://www.upworthy.com/queen-is-thinking-about-throwing-a ... ›
- https://www.upworthy.com/they-may-look-ordinary-but-16-million ... ›
- https://www.upworthy.com/this-mom-thought-she-caught-her-teen ... ›
- https://www.upworthy.com/christopher-walken-will-ferell-snl-more ... ›
- Why Are We Always Trying To Stop The People Who Want To HELP ... ›
- Upworthy ›
- Here's The Problem With The Supreme Court, In Two Charts ... ›
- Upworthy ›
- Congressman Yells At White House Drug Official For Refusing To ... ›
- When A Dude Who Hates Abortions Can't Even Answer One Simple ... ›
- Jameela Jamil Said Her Abortion Was "Not A Mistake" In A Candid ... ›
- Jameela Jamil claps back at trolls who shamed her for abortion ... ›
- Jameela Jamil abortion: "The Good Place" actress Jameela Jamil ... ›
- Jameela Jamil on Twitter: "I had an abortion when I was young, and ... ›
- 'It was the best decision I have ever made': Actress Jameela Jamil ... ›
- Jameela Jamil Slams Georgia Abortion Ban, Reveals She's Had ... ›
- Abortion law: Jameela Jamil, Milla Jovovich detail past ›
- Jameela Jamil says getting abortion was 'best decision' she ever ... ›
- Jameela Jamil criticizes Georgia abortion ban, defends her own ... ›
- Milla Jovovich, Jameela Jamil share abortion stories to decry ... ›