Forever 21 facing backlash from plus-size customers who received diet bars with their online orders
Fat shaming has never been in style, and yet, the fashion industry seems to have it on lock.
Many Forever 21 customers have reported they've received samples of Atkins' new line of lemon bars with their plus-sized clothing orders. The bars are touted as a way to "treat yourself without worrying about your carb count." Yikes.
Needless to say, the free sample did notgo over well. Many customers feel as if the fast fashion retailer is trying to subtly tell them they need to lose weight.
RELATED: Macy's pulls plates from their stores for sending a 'toxic message'
bought a swimsuit online from forever 21 and they sent me an atkins bar along with it lmaoo thank u for reminding m… https://t.co/SakZ6MApRI— C (@C) 1563847515
I went from a size 24 to 18, still a plus size girl, so I ordered jeans from @Forever21 Opened the package, when I… https://t.co/JtinM4WUGm— MissGG🏳️🌈♿️♒️☯️☮️💟 (@MissGG🏳️🌈♿️♒️☯️☮️💟) 1563571368
Forever 21 really put a fucking diet bar in with my plus size clothing order...I fucking can’t. 😡— ✨💕Kat Ravioli💕✨ (@✨💕Kat Ravioli💕✨) 1563818775
my mom ordered some clothes from @Forever21 ‘s plus size collection and they sent a Atkins diet bar along with the… https://t.co/xtpid2oxlE— jesse (@jesse) 1563574991
Forever 21 responded, saying they aren't trying to target people who ordered plus-sized clothes. Everyone got the Atkins bar samples, and they're in fact not trying to tell people, "Hey, you could really stand to lose a few pounds." The retailer has since apologized for including the bar in their shipments.
"From time to time, Forever 21 surprises our customers with free test products from third parties in their e-commerce orders. The freebie items in question were included in all online orders, across all sizes and categories, for a limited time and have since been removed," Forever 21 said in a statement, per Buzzfeed News. "This was an oversight on our part and we sincerely apologize for any offense this may have caused to our customers, as this was not our intention in any way."
RELATED: Man exposes the absurdity of sexist marketing by creating shirts that label men like we do women
Regardless, it's still not a good look. The presence of the bar insinuates there's something wrong with the customer – regardless of their size. Opening a box to find a diet bar is going to make people feel like trash about their figure, even if there's nothing wrong with them.
We love the fun of getting surprised with free samples with our clothes, but Forever 21 should think harder about what they include next time.
- Twitter Blasts Forever 21 for Allegedly Putting Atkins Bars In Plus ... ›
- Forever 21 accused of 'fat shaming' over diet bars - BBC News ›
- Forever 21 is Sending Diet Bars with Plus-Size Orders ›
- Forever 21 sends Atkins diet bars to plus-size customers ›
- Forever 21 Under Fire for Including Atkins Diet Bars With Orders ... ›
- Forever 21 Sent Some Customers Atkins Diet Bars And People Are ... ›
- Forever 21 Sends Diet Bars to Customers Ordering Plus-Size Clothing ›
- Forever 21 apologizes for sending Atkins bars with online orders ... ›
- Forever 21 blasted for sending Atkins diet bars with plus-size ... ›
- Forever 21 diet bars: Atkins samples sent with some plus-size orders ›