9 Places Where No Woman Has Ever Been
So, this whole glass ceiling thing is tricky. We tend to focus on the most glaring sources of gender inequality (White House and Congress, I'm looking at you!) but sometimes forget just how depressingly common the disparity is. The following is a (sadly by no means exhaustive) list of places where no woman has ever tread. Share this puppy, and maybe we can change that. (Note: All the heavy lifting for this post came from an incredible Tumblr called 100 Percent Men created by the enterprising Lydia DePillis, a reporter for The New Republic. All of these links are must-clicks. Trust me.)
1. Every member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Ever.
2. Every president of the AFL-CIO,Teamsters, United Food and Commercial Workers, and International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. Ever.
3. Every current member of the executive team at Apple.
[Note: There has been at least one woman previously on Apple's executive team. HT: Sara Robinson]
4. Every winner of the most prestigious award in mathematics, the Fields Medal. Ever.
5. (Almost) Everyone to host a late-night show for a major network. Ever.
[Note: Joan Rivers hosted The Late Show from October 1986 to May 1987. HT: Benjamin Borowski]
6. Every incarnation of the Dalai Lama. Ever.
7. Every editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal and The Financial Times as well as every managing editor of Time magazine and every director general of BBC. Ever.
[Note: A previous version of this post neglected the fact that Martha Nelson is the new editor-in-chief of Time magazine. Congratulations to her and apologies for the error.]
8. Every member of the Central Politboro Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China. Ever.
9. And just in case you were looking for more parity in space — also, everyone who has ever walked on the moon. Ever.