Every once in a while, a hashtag comes along that is so pure and delightful, you wonder how you survived on the internet without it.
#RateASpecies is that hashtag.
It's a tongue-in-cheek hashtag that zoos, aquariums, and wildlife centers have been using to write humorous Amazon-style "reviews" of different animals. It's a silly, carefree way to learn real facts about the amazing creatures around us.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Exceeds expectations! Very cute marsupial IMHO – and the only one found in the US! Curious if negative… https://t.co/ymkrEqGOWF— Tennessee Aquarium 🐢 (@Tennessee Aquarium 🐢) 1520624151
And in the vein of Dog Rates, every animal receives four stars because every animal is pretty much perfect. Trust and believe — this is koala-ty content.
Here are some of the animals coming out on top, including a few endangered, vulnerable, and otherwise surprising species.
1. Am I the last person to learn of tree kangaroos? And, if so, why didn't any of you tell me about these delightful but vulnerable creatures?
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I WAS A DOUBTER I was skeptical but this really works! You can't just put any kind of kangaroo in a tree.… https://t.co/2OMsc8ytpw— Woodland Park Zoo (@Woodland Park Zoo) 1520619032
2. The tree kangaroo is not to be confused with this cuddly cutie: the red panda.
Bonus points to Minnesota Zoo for the excellent wordplay.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️We're a FANDA of the red panda. Low maintenance. Self cleaning. Extra fluff included. #rateaspecies https://t.co/zB23VVWQiy— Minnesota Zoo (@Minnesota Zoo) 1520619030
3. If you give a hoot about owls (and you should), consider doing something about light pollution.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED This stylish little unit is amazing. Sound quality A+. No distortion at full volu… https://t.co/fyNIJVf9iz— Oregon Zoo (@Oregon Zoo) 1520614994
4. This big cat is a gentle giant most of the day. I'm not lion.
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ MOSTLY HARMLESS A+ excellent sleeper, perfectly content to sleep for 20+ hours in a day. Best to avoid dur… https://t.co/C1kIbJBt9n— Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens (@Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens) 1520620083
5. Don't be alarmed. This is a mola mola, not a swimming nightmare come to life.
And if you stare long enough, it's actually kind of cute.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ A TOUR DE FORCE Simply superlative. Disruptive design. Inspired mechanical engineering. Invented its own n… https://t.co/wAGZXRc0AU— Monterey Bay Aquarium (@Monterey Bay Aquarium) 1520616344
6. Because even creepy-crawlies deserve love. Four stars (and four terrifying screams) for your local scorpion.
⭐⭐⭐⭐ GREAT DANCER Dances well when in courtship. Poor eyesight, but makes up for it in tiny sensory hairs.… https://t.co/VNXcJj1x2B— John Ball Zoo (@John Ball Zoo) 1520620899
7. If super floofs are more your scene, look no further than the snow leopard.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ BEAUTIFUL! Includes natural snowshoes via wide, fur-covered feet. Uses long tail for balance and to keep w… https://t.co/24U4ScvYp1— Ross Park Zoo (@Ross Park Zoo) 1520620933
8. Or better yet, this seafaring floof: the penguin.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️FLOOF DELIVERS Those of you who have read our reviews know we are a fan of the fluff, but this goes way… https://t.co/1PR8fOKL0U— Woodland Park Zoo (@Woodland Park Zoo) 1520620700
9. If you need something that hauls, climbs, and rests like no other, maybe a bear is more your speed.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️GREAT FOR FISHING Extremely luxurious exterior hides a strong & sturdy frame. Extreme traction on a 4x4 d… https://t.co/jZWzuQcEV9— 🐯 🆃🆈🅶🅴🆁 (@🐯 🆃🆈🅶🅴🆁) 1520619763
10. This well-dressed epaulette shark has a unique look that can go from day to night.
And from water to land. Seriously!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Walks on reefs AND swims! Unbelievable! Dermal denticles come standard, definitely a bonus. Fashionable b… https://t.co/sYw4rpk1n4— New England Aquarium (@New England Aquarium) 1520623845
11. I don't know how this made the list. This list is for animals — not very happy plant life!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ VERY HAPPY Not to be confused with a smiling leaf. Very bouncy and keeps cricket population under control.… https://t.co/9xlFEITVoz— Josh's Frogs (@Josh's Frogs) 1520621684
12. Now jellyfish. This is more like it. Did you know they're 95% water?
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️NO ORGANS NO PROBLEM Great organic alternative to your parent’s lava lamp. Heartless, brainless and spinele… https://t.co/FC5TgRMDHo— Monterey Bay Aquarium (@Monterey Bay Aquarium) 1520618728
13. Finally, an animal that's Instagram ready.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Takes Amazing Shellfies Temperamental handling but light-weight, ergonomic design, water proof. (Buyer bew… https://t.co/fQmDKakyXG— South Carolina Aquarium (@South Carolina Aquarium) 1520621990
14. "Bats off" to these late-night party animals.
I'm so sorry about that attempt at wordplay. I will never be the Minnesota Zoo, and I recognize that now.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ GREAT VALUE LOVE these. Must-have on all outdoor adventures. Keeps bugs off even when wet. Cordless.… https://t.co/wTZD3PHeZV— Oregon Zoo (@Oregon Zoo) 1520618998
15. Nothing but respect for my predator.
Even after some ice cold seals left a pretty damning review.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️SHARP Reading all the reviews it seems like its key feature is what people have the biggest problem with. F… https://t.co/HLC1w51HxR— Monterey Bay Aquarium (@Monterey Bay Aquarium) 1520620712
16. Have you ever seen an unhappy bonobo? Probably not. And you probably never will.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️A TRIUMPH OF THE PRIMATE SPIRIT The original hippies. These bonobos will make you think but mostly make you… https://t.co/jofKUXNBxI— Zoo Society MKE (@Zoo Society MKE) 1520621434
17. Ain't no party like a lake sturgeon party cuz a lake sturgeon party has been going on for 150 million years.
Did your favorite fauna not make the cut? Join the party, and rate it yourself.
Because every now and then, it's possible to find pure, unadulterated delight on the internet. And if you can learn a few things along the way, it's as close to a four-star experience as you can get.