Dietitians are calling out WW’s Kurbo app for promoting unhealthy eating habits in kids, but is it as problematic as they think?
There's a difference between dieting and being healthy, and often times, overattention to what you consume can lead to disordered eating. Eating disorders are dangerous and can affect anyone, but they're especially concerning in adolescents. Which is why WW (formerly Weight Watchers) is facing intense criticism for its new app, Kurbo, targeted toward kids ages eight to 17.
The app uses a traffic light system to tell kids which foods are a "green light" and can be eaten as much as they want, which foods are a "yellow light" and should be consumed with caution, and which "red light" foods they should probably avoid.
It seems like a simple system to teach kids what's good for them and what's not, but it regulates kids' diets in an unhealthy way. Gaining weight is a normal, healthy part of child development. Putting on a few pounds means your body is doing what it's supposed to do. While the app classifies foods with too much fat or calories as "red," children need to consume some of these foods to develop their brain.
WW is calling the app "common sense." As Gary Foster, the chief science officer of WW, puts it, items in the red foods category "aren't foods that should be encouraged in kids' diets, but they also shouldn't be vilified or demonized, and there has to be a system that's simple and science-based that highlights that so everyone in the family can understand."
- WW Kurbo Weight Loss App For Kids Gains Backlash | InStyle.com ›
- WW Weight Watchers Kurbo Kids Program Controversy ›
- A New Weight Watchers App for Kids Raises Concerns ›
- Kurbo by WW takes on contentious childhood obesity challenge by ... ›
- Weight Watchers' Kurbo sells diets to children as young as age eight ›
- Kurbo by WW Is a Weight Watchers Diet App for Kids - Eater ›
- WW launches Kurbo, a hotly debated 'healthy eating' app aimed at ... ›
- NEDA Statement on Kurbo by WW App | National Eating Disorders ... ›
- Kurbo by WW Is a Weight-Loss App for Kids As Young As 8 | Time ›
- Kurbo: Health Coaching for Kids, Teens, Families ›