25 non-cliché pieces of life advice that will help you find happiness.
What has someone said to you that you can never forget?
Recently, my older sister told me that being in your 40s feels like being in your 20s, minus all the insecurities.
"Nice!" I thought. "Something to look forward to."
But I don't think she knew how much difference her advice really made for me. It soothed my anxiety about approaching the big 4-0. It caused me to shift my thinking about getting older. It also got me excited about reaching that particular milestone because I knew exactly what she was talking about.
I wanted to engrave the words into my brain. It's the first thing that comes to mind when I stop to think about my age and how it makes me feel. I've since enlightened at least a handful of people with my sister's brilliant observation.
You never know when you'll hear something like this that will make you stop in your tracks and think about the world in a new way. It could be something your boss says in passing, or a motto a family member lives by, or even something a stranger casually — and randomly — mentions in passing.
In fact, one Redditor posed a simple yet powerful question about this: "What has someone said to you that you can never forget?"
Here are 25 of the most inspiring and thought-provoking responses:
1. Simple yet profound.
2. On being patient and taking a leap of faith.
3. On making mistakes.
4. See this, professors? You never know whose life you're touching.
5. On first judgments.
6. This one is applicable to most things in life.
7. Remember this next time you have a bad day.
8. Note to beginners everywhere.
9. On mental health.
10. Even using chess as a metaphor for life.
11. A testament to the phrase "practice makes perfect."
12. Yep. It's that simple.
13. On dealing with grief
14. One mother's humble financial advice.
15. On meeting new people.
16. One grandma's skeptical advice on life.
18. Ain't that the truth.
19. Putting it all in perspective.
20. This is something to think about if you're feeling insecure about your appearance.
21. On toxic relationships.
22. A little encouragement to get through a difficult situation.
24. True story.
25. On controlling your temper.
While these are certainly not one-size-fits-all remedies for life, I imagine we can all relate to most of these musings.
Life can be tough and weird and wonderful and glorious and sad and crazy. So if you're feeling lost, confused, or uninspired, turn to this list and remember: You're not alone.