+
Heroes

14 days after they invited a camera crew into their house, they were homeless.

There goes the neighborhood. If you've ever wondered what happens when valuable natural resources happen to be in your backyard, the short version is it's not good.People who live in rural areas have little power to protest when industrial extraction replaces the hills and hollows of their paradise. They fought as long as they could. Surrounded on all sides, they finally had to leave. The real kicker: The gas company says they've only done this to 6% of the places they've got their eye on. The other 94% has people, and homes, and lives that will all get turned upside down — and they don't even know it. Is your backyard next?I don't know Annie and Jon, but they are friends of friends. Their abandoned farm is only 16 miles from my dad's home, where I grew up. Every time I go home, this is the conversation I hear: How could we possibly leave? How can we possibly stay?

Education

Teacher of the year explains why he's leaving district in unforgettable 3-minute speech

"I'm leaving in hopes that I can regain the ability to do the job that I love."

Lee Allen

For all of our disagreements in modern American life, there are at least a few things most of us can agree on. One of those is the need for reform in public education. We don't all agree on the solutions but many of the challenges are undeniable: retaining great teachers, reducing classroom size and updating the focus of student curriculums to reflect the ever-changing needs of a globalized workforce.

And while parents, politicians and activists debate those remedies, one voice is all-too-often ignored: that of teachers themselves.

This is why a short video testimony from a teacher in the Atlanta suburb of Gwinnett County went viral recently. After all, it's hard to deny the points made by someone who was just named teacher of the year and used the occasion to announce why he will be leaving the very school district that just honored him with that distinction.

Keep ReadingShow less

This article originally appeared on 11.12.17

Nothing can ruin a relaxing weekend or holiday like an email from the office. Even if there's no need to take action until Monday, the unwanted intrusion of professional life can really suck the joy out of a Sunday afternoon barbecue.

That's why the country that's famous for giving its employees 30 days off a year and 16 weeks of full-paid family leave in May 2016 made itself even cooler with its new "right to disconnect" rule.

Keep ReadingShow less

Golden retriever has cutest reaction to sister walking.

Here at Upworthy we look for stories that will make you smile and warm your heart and, let’s face it, we could all use a little help in the smile department these days. When we ran across this ridiculously sweet story on The Dodo about a golden retriever and his little human sister, we simply had to share it with you. Taco is a 3-year-old golden retriever who has been lovingly waiting for his new baby sister, Vanora, to be able to play with him, and the day has finally come.

Keep ReadingShow less