In the wake of three U.S. mass shootings in one week, President Trump is trying to place blame on "The Media."
Let's see. Where to start?
First, the media is not responsible for life and safety in our country. The government and law enforcement are. The press has a responsibility to report on what the government is doing, and to be as accurate as possible in its reporting. "The Media" that the president is referring to—generally reputable news outlets—do that. They are not responsible for people getting angry over what they're reporting, and they're definitely not responsible for anyone's violent actions.
Second, let's remember what "fake news" actually is. During the 2016 election, around 140 websites were discovered as being completely fake sites purporting to be U.S. political news outlets. They published false and misleading stories, fabricated off of headlines coming from the U.S. Some of them were run by teenagers in Macedonia. Many of them manufactured fear-mongering stories about Muslims and immigrants. They also made the website owners rich, because millions of people—the vast majority of them Trump supporters—bought it.
- Cory Booker Says Donald Trump "Is Responsible" For The El Paso ... ›
- El Paso Walmart shooting: Veronica Escobar says Trump not welcome ›
- Trump says mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton are a 'mental ... ›
- Trump weighs in on 'terrible' El Paso shooting ›
- After El Paso, We Can No Longer Ignore Trump's Role in Inspiring ›
- President Trump condemns 'hateful act' of El Paso shooting ... ›
- Trump condemns white supremacy after El Paso mass shooting ... ›
- President Trump On Dayton, El Paso Shootings: 'Hate Has No Place ... ›
- Trump on shootings: President Donald Trump urges nation to ... ›
- El Paso Shooting: Massacre That Killed 20 Being Investigated as ... ›
- Death toll rises to 22 in El Paso shooting as 2 more victims die in ... ›
- 2019 El Paso shooting - Wikipedia ›
- The El Paso Shooting and the Virality of Evil | The New Yorker ›
- El Paso Shooting Suspect's Manifesto Echoes Trump's Language ... ›
- Mexico exploring legal action against the US following El Paso ... ›
- El Paso shooting: 20 people dead, 26 injured, suspect in custody ... ›
- Hate crime charges are possible for El Paso shooting suspect - CNN ›
- Mexico angry over El Paso shooting - POLITICO ›