She studied feminism before it was cool. Decades later, we all have her to thank for that.

"Men have been given the impression that they are much more important in the world than they actually are."

Wait. Did one of the first famous feminist professors just point out we need to be more thoughtful about ... men?

Yeah, and she had a point. A very feminist and spot-on point.

Late historian Gerda Lerner was saying badass things on gender equality long before Beyoncé danced on stage in front of big letters proclaiming she was a "feminist." (But we love you, too, Bey.)


Take, for instance, this interview she had with "Thinking Allowed." It's chock-full of great tidbits that put sexism into perspective.

One of the most important talking points she touches on is the fact men are hurt by sexism, too.

"[The omission of women's history] has fostered illusions of grandeur in every man that are unwarranted. If you can think as a man that everything great in the world and civilization was created by men, then naturally you have to look down on women. And naturally you have to have different aspirations for your sons and for your daughters. And I don't think that's good for men either."

Lerner explored many issues within the topic of gender, including when women began being treated like second-class citizens. FYI, she discovered it was an embarrassingly long time ago.

We're talking the Bronze Age.



GIF via NBC.

Lerner was a pioneer when it came to empowering women.

She was a leading force in the field of women's history and an accomplished author who wrote about the patriarchy (a system where men basically hold the power and women sit on the sidelines).

To put things in perspective, women's history wasn't even a thing when she started studying it, as she explained on "Thinking Allowed" in the interview clip below.

"When I started working on women's history about 30 years ago, the field did not exist. It was not recognized. People didn't think that women had a history worth knowing."

But thanks to trailblazers like her, many more people think women deserve a seat at the table. A Vox poll published in April found 85% of Americans believe in "equality for women." (And the other 15% are wrong, but that's just my opinion).

Society owes you one, Gerda.

Check out the a clip of the interview below:

More

Abigail Disney is the granddaughter of the late Roy Disney, the co-founder of the Walt Disney Co. Abigail herself does not have a job within the company, but she has made some public complaints about the way things are being run and how it is effecting the employees of the company.

Disney recently spoke on the Yahoo News show "Through Her Eyes," and shared a story of how a Magic Kingdom employee reached out to her about the poor working conditions at the theme park. So, Disney went to see for herself, and she did not like what she found.

Keep Reading Show less
popular
Wellington District Police

Some animals have no respect for authority. Rogue penguins are disobeying the police in New Zealand, and they can't stop, won't stop.

Two little blue penguins were spotted at Sushi Bi near the Wellington railway station, allegedly trying to nest. The penguins had to cross through busy lanes of traffic running between the harbor and the sushi bar.

The dangerous duo was detained by the police, then released back into Wellington Harbour.

Keep Reading Show less
Nature

Netflix

How much of what we do is influenced by what we see on TV? When it comes to risky behavior, Netflix isn't taking any chances.

After receiving a lot of heat, the streaming platform is finally removing a controversial scenedepicting teen suicide in season one of "13 Reasons Why. The decision comes two years after the show's release after statistics reveal an uptick in teen suicide.

"As we prepare to launch season three later this summer, we've been mindful about the ongoing debate around the show. So on the advice of medical experts, including Dr. Christine Moutier, Chief Medical Officer at the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, we've decided with creator Brian Yorkey and the producers to edit the scene in which Hannah takes her own life from season one," Netflix said in a statement, per The Hollywood Reporter.

Keep Reading Show less
Culture
Magnific Eye / Unsplash

Los Angeles is experiencing a homeless epidemic that was years in the making.

Over the past six years, the unhoused population in the city has risen 75 percent. The city's lack of homeless shelters and affordable housing has forced many who can't afford L.A.'s sky-high rents to live on the streets.

According to LAist, since 2000, renter incomes have decreased by 3 percent while rents have gone up 32 percent.

While the city has launched a $100 million-per-year program to help the problem, rapper, entrepreneur, and actor Jaden Smith has found his own way of responding to the crisis: love.

Keep Reading Show less
Communities