This article originally appeared on 02.21.20
Optical illusions are universally beloved for how they trick our brains and blow our minds. There's a reason we enjoy magic shows and Escher paintings and are mesmerized by fake oases in the desert. We love seeing things that bend our perceptions of reality, and the science behind the magic always proves fascinating as well.
The Ames window is a pretty well-known optical illusion, but it's always cool to see. When spun, the angled window appears to oscillate back and forth instead of spin all the way around. But this video adds a twist that makes the effect even more mindbending—our brains simply can't process objective reality mixed with an optical illusion.
The YouTube channel Curiosity Show explains the science of the illusion and gives a DIY demonstration for making your own Ames window. But wait until the pen gets taped to the window and spun. This is some real-life magic right here. Mind. Blown.
- Can you guess how many girls are in this photo? Very few people ... ›
- Makeup artist creates mind-blowing optical illusions that will make ... ›
- Bizarre optical illusion has people either seeing a car door or the ... ›
- A popular optical illusion with a mindbending twist proves we can't ... ›
- Hey, quick question: What color is this !@#$ shoe? - Upworthy ›
- This popular video of weird jiggly grass in Russia looks cool, but ... ›
- How many of your friends can see all the dots in this optical illusion ... ›
- People are seriously divided over whether these plates and bowls are upside down or not - Upworthy ›
- Harrison Ford's reaction to David Blaine's magic trick in his kitchen has people rolling - Upworthy ›
- Incredible Optical Illusion That Makes Two Blue Boxes Appear to Rotate When the Background Changes - Upworthy ›
- What is this doodle? - Upworthy ›
- Optical Illusion- Dr. W. B. Bieker - Optometrist, Eye Exams ›
- Optical Illusion – Prescription Opticians in Westwood, NJ ›
- Optical illusion - Wikipedia ›
- 21 Optical Illusions That Prove Your Brain Sucks | PCMag ›
- The best optical illusions of 2019 will melt your mind ›
- The Best Optical Illusion of the Year Will Mess With Your Head - VICE ›