Cyntoia Brown, who murdered her sexual abuser at 16, released from prison and will now help other girls like her
Update: Cyntoia Brown has been granted full clemency and released from prison after serving 15 years for killing a man who bought her for sex at age 16.
Brown requested no media availability on the day of her release (smart girl), but released this public statement:
"While first giving honor to God who made all of this possible, I would also like to thank my many supporters who have spoken on my behalf and prayed for me. I'm blessed to have a very supportive family and friends to support me in the days to come. I look forward to using my experiences to help other women and girls suffering abuse and exploitation. I thank Governor and First Lady Haslam for their vote of confidence in me and with the Lord's help I will make them as well as the rest of my supporters proud."
Welcome back to freedom, Cyntoia.
Brown's case has tested the limits of our justice system and gained the attention of criminal justice reform advocates and celebrities alike. Here's a rundown of the basics of her case:
Brown was born to a mother who abused drugs and alcohol and placed her up for adoption. As a teen, Brown ran away from her adoptive family and was taken in by a pimp who raped her and forced her into prostitution. In 2004, a 43-year-old real estate agent, Johnny Allen, paid $150 to have sex with Brown—then 16—and took her to his home.
- Social media reignites Cyntoia Brown murder case - YouTube ›
- Cyntoia Brown granted clemency after 15 years in prison - Vox ›
- Cyntoia Brown will be released August 7. What happens until then? ›
- Cyntoia Brown must serve 51 years before she can be released ... ›
- Gov. Bill Haslam grants full clemency to Cyntoia Brown, sets Aug. 7 ›
- Cyntoia Brown, sentenced at 16 to life in prison, to plead for leniency ... ›
- Cyntoia Brown is granted clemency after serving 15 years in prison ... ›
- Cyntoia Brown, Trafficking Victim Serving Life Sentence for Murder ... ›
- Cyntoia Brown, Sex-Trafficking Victim, Must Serve 51 Years Before ... ›
- Cyntoia Brown Is Granted Clemency After 15 Years in Prison - The ... ›