I saw this poster today and I was going to just let it go, but then I kept feeling tugged to say something.
While this poster is great to bring attention to the issue of child trafficking, it is a "shocking" picture of a young girl tied up. It has that dark gritty feeling. I picture her in a basement tied to a dripping pipe.
While that sounds awful, it's important to know that trafficking children in the US is not all of that. I can't say it never is—I don't know. What I do know is most young trafficked children aren't sitting in a basement tied up. They have families, and someone—usually in their family—is trafficking them.
- How one woman is helping sex trafficking survivors become ... ›
- Sex trafficking is happening in the U.S. — and young people need to ... ›
- Sex trafficking of youth still happens today. Here's why it's difficult to ... ›
- Kooky conspiracy theories are detracting from the very real issue of child trafficking - Upworthy ›
- If you really want to #SaveTheChildren, stop sharing QAnon conspiracy theories - Upworthy ›
- Child sex trafficking organizations set the record straight on QAnon conspiracy theories - Upworthy ›