31 photos of sculptures that will make you think so many deep thoughts.
Right now in Sydney, Australia, you can walk down a beautiful beach and see dozens of jaw-dropping, mind-bending sculptures.
Billed as the "world's largest annual free-to-the-public outdoor sculpture exhibition," "Sculpture by the Sea" was started 18 years ago on a budget of just $11,000 and now draws over 500,000 visitors a year. These amazing photos were taken by Lisa Maree Williams.
Despite the idyllic setting, the sculptures are — like most art — intended to make you think deep thoughts.
While it's impossible to know which deep thoughts the artists were going for (and it's rude to ask), these are my best guesses. Your deep thoughts may vary. Unlimited deep thoughts per customer.
1. "The Bottles" by RCM Collective
Stop throwing plastic bottles into the ocean, or one day they'll gain sentience and seek revenge on your terrified children.
2. "Transmigration" by Jeremy Sheehan
Dumping chemicals in the ocean poisons fish, which leads, ultimately, to rickety birds.
3. "Half Gate" by Matthew Asimakis, Clarence Lee, and Caitlin Roseby
We can make our prisons more humane. Just maybe don't make it so easy to escape.
4. "The Navigator" by Calvert and Schiltz
There's nothing more soothing than riding a hyena into the sea. Nothing.
5. "Open" by Peter Lundberg
Let's talk to each other more. Preferably through giant stone holes, if possible.
6. "Outside-in" by William Feuerman
If I see the sculpture, does the sculpture ... see me?
7. "Surfer's Paradise" by James Rogers
Life's too short to always speak into the correct end of the megaphone.
8. "Space Time Continuum v4" by Clayton Thompson
The universe is, like, big, man.
9. "Fun" by Naidee Changmoh and "Fabrication" by Veronica Herber
Get that baby an agent!
10. "Voyagers I & II" by Margarita Sampson
Again, be kind to the birds, even if they're slow-moving and flightless.
11. "Cairn" by Morgan Jones
A moment of silence, please.
12. "The Thing Which Has Come Here" by Masayuki Sugiyama
Obsidian sea monsters deserve love too.
13. "Meditation" by Seung Hwan Kim
Please be more careful when stacking the chairs.
14. "Divided Planet" by Jörg Plickat
Love is kinda neat.
15. "Cradle of Form" by Elyssa Sykes-Smith
Don't play a big game of Jenga on top of a mountain.
16. "Harbour" by Chen Wenling
Outdoor yoga is the slam.
17. "Forest" by Deborah Sleeman
If you keep putting poison into the air, we'll basically be left with tiny chickens, fish tails, and mushrooms made of metal, in terms of nature.
18. "Keep Safe/Keepsake" by Sandra Pitkin
Seriously. If you keep putting poison into the air, we're going to have to take all the trees and put them in boxes so you idiots can't hurt them anymore. Remember this Joni Mitchell song? That was a warning. We will seriously make the tree museum happen.
19. "Dust" by Norton Flavel
Maybe giants don't do jazz hands.
20. "The Bell" by Ruth Liou
Why do lighthouses have to be so tall, anyway?
21. "Intuitive Sense of Connection" by Andrea Vinkovic
We humans may fight, hurt, even kill each other, but at the end of the day, we are all one medium-sized lattice ball.
22. "Wind Blowing" by Koichi Ishino
When you trust fall into the sea, everyone wins.
23. "Cycle of Life" by Ron Gomboc
"The Lion King" still holds up pretty well.
24. "Lonis" by Robert Hague
Aren't we all the king of the world? Sometimes?
25. "Crate Poems" by Alessandra Rossi
Maybe a bottle isn't the best delivery mechanism for a message after all.
26. "Conspicuous Consumption" by Benson Sculpture
Maybe let's not waste so much paper all the time?
27. "Open Home" by Kate Carroll and "Fabrication" by Veronica Herber
Do I really need to knock down that wall to build a home office? Do I really need the extra space?
28. "Middleground" by Philip Spelman
Relationships are hard work.
29. "Acoustic Chamber" by Arissara Reed and Davin Nurimba
Listen to your heart when he's calling for you.
30. "Wave 2" by Annette Thas
Seriously. Stop throwing plastic into the ocean.
31. "The Bridge" by Linda Bowden
Be good to one another. And enjoy the sunset!