It's one of the most dazzling displays on Earth.
The northern lights or, if you want to get technical, Aurora Borealis, are one of the most beautiful displays on Earth. It's an incredible show of dancing green lights with the occasional appearance of blue, yellow, and red.
The lights are caused by a cosmic collision between between electrically-charged particles released from the sun that enter the earth's atmosphere and meet with gases such as oxygen and nitrogen.
The lights have been mythologized all over the world. The ancient Greeks believed it was caused by Aurora, the sister of Helios and Seline (the sun and moon), racing across the early morning sky in her multi-colored chariot.
- Northern Lights Could Be Visible Over Parts of America This Weekend ›
- The Northern Lights Will Be Visible Over North America Tonight ... ›
- 5 great places to catch the Northern Lights in North America | Orbitz ›
- Here's Where To Look For The Northern Lights In The U.S. On ... ›
- Northern lights: A geostorm will give residents in the Northern US ... ›
- Northern Lights: Northern US, Canada will see aurora borealis ›
- How to See the Northern Lights: 2019 Aurora Borealis Guide | Space ›