Emmet Till was a fun-loving 14-year-old, always joking and pulling silly pranks. In 1955, while visiting with family in Mississippi, he allegedly flirted with a white woman in a grocery store. Four days later, the woman's husband and half brother broke into Till's uncle's house, kidnapped the boy at gunpoint, beat him severely, gouged out one of his eyes, and then shot him in the head. Using barbed wire, they tied a large metal fan to his neck and threw him into the Tallahatchie River.
When Till's body was found three days later, his face was unrecognizable and a monogrammed ring he wore had to be used to identify him.
#EmmettTill would have been 78 today. Imagine the life he could be living. A light in the world? A vessel of love f… https://t.co/kez8I8B3wn— The King Center (@The King Center)1564105803.0
The two men who kidnapped him were arrested, and three weeks later they stood trial. After less than an hour's deliberation, the all-white, all-male jury acquitted the men of all charges. After brutally murdering an innocent child, they walked free.
- I've been reminded again that black lives don't matter. And I am ... ›
- The forgotten history of August 28 and what it means for all ... ›
- 20 striking photos show the civil rights movement then ... and now ... ›
- Before he leaves office, Obama is helping cold case murder victims ... ›
- More than 6 decades after his violent death, the story of Emmett Till ... ›
- Emmett Till Sign Is Hit With Bullets Again, 35 Days After Being ... ›
- Emmett Till memorial in photo of gun-toting Mississippi students will ... ›
- Ole Miss students who posed with guns at Emmett Till memorial sign ... ›
- Emmett Till Memorial to Be Replaced With Bulletproof Sign | Time ›
- Fraternity Suspends Students After Posing By Emmett Till Memorial ... ›
- Emmett Till Memorial Will No Be Bulletproof ›
- New Emmett Till Memorial Will Be Made Bulletproof, Group Says ... ›
- Emmett Till memorial to be replaced with bulletproof sign ›
- Emmett Till's Casket Goes to the Smithsonian | Arts & Culture ... ›
- Emmett Till's memorial sign was riddled with bullet holes. 35 days ... ›