We've had three mass shootings in an eight-day period, spurring the ongoing debate about gun violence and why it doesn't seem like anyone is doing anything about it. One person who is taking action is Lady Gaga, who announced she will be fully funding classroom projects in Dayton, Ohio, El Paso, Texas, and Gilroy, California as a way to be proactive about what's happening in the world.
"In this moment, I want to channel my confusion, frustration, and fury into hope. Hope that we are there for each other and for ourselves," she said.
Working through her Born This Way Foundation, the singer is partnering with DonorsChoose.org, an organization that allows teachers to fundraise for classroom projects. Some of the projects had been partially funded through crowdfunding, but thanks to Lady Gaga's donations, the projects are now fully funded in 14 classrooms in Dayton, 125 classrooms in El Paso, and 23 classrooms in Gilroy have received the support they needed.
RELATED: Lady Gaga calls out interviewer's 'sexist' double standards when he asks about her 'provocative lyrics'
"My heart goes out to those who were taken from us too soon and to their families, loved ones, and communities who are left to grieve. Everyone has the right to laws that make them feel safe in their communities," Lady Gaga said in a Facebook post announcing the donations.
While the donations might not directly address the problem of gun violence, it's still a way to provide some comfort to the communities that were affected by the tragedies. The students "will now have access to the support they need to inspire their students to work together and bring their dreams to life," as Lady Gaga put it.
However, Lady Gaga's donation does directly address the fact that many schools are underfunded and turn to crowdfunding or Amazon registries in order to collect resources for classrooms. Charles Best, the founder and CEO of Donors Choose, estimated that the website would raise $140 million in donations during the 2018 school year alone, with 70% of projects receiving funding. In other words, you don't need to be Lady Gaga in order to help out a classroom in need.
- Should paid parental leave be a baby shower gift? Lots of people ... ›
- If He Gets Just A Few People To Watch Some Impossibly Cute Pets ... ›
- What do at-risk teens do with $1000? Turns out they help each other. ›
- Kate Middleton continues the royal family's mental health focus with ... ›
- Teachers and kids around the country are celebrating this $29 ... ›
- Bless This Blogger For Explaining Feminism To The Girl From 'The ... ›
- This teacher used a game show win to surprise every student in her ... ›
- Lady Gaga's powerful new video shows the reality of campus sexual ... ›
- Lady Gaga gets best possible revenge on ex-classmates who ... ›
- 5 applause-worthy quotes from Lady Gaga's candid conversation ... ›
- Philanthropy | Gagapedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia ›
- Lady Gaga's Foundation Selects Five Schools to Receive Financial ... ›
- Lady Gaga funds local teachers, but policy snafu excludes DPS ›
- Lady Gaga Surprised Middle School Students for This Staples Ad ... ›
- Lady Gaga delivers pizza, gift cards to California fire evacuation center ›
- Oprah surprises Newark high school with $500,000 donation ... ›
- Lady Gaga funds school projects in Gilroy, Dayton, El Paso ›
- Lady Gaga's foundation to fund projects in Dayton, El Paso, and Gilroy ›
- Lady Gaga Vows To Fund School Projects For 162 Classrooms In El ... ›
- Lady Gaga donating school supplies to the communities of El Paso ... ›