There's nothing like a good reunion story to get you misty in the ol' tear ducts. Kate Howard, the managing editor of Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting, shared a story of randomly running into the dog she used to foster on Twitter. You know all those dog reunion movies? The ones with names like A Dog's Hope and A Dog's Sloppy Kiss? The ones that make you cry buckets no matter how hard you think your heart is? Well, this is that, but in real life.
The name sounded familiar to Kate, and for a very good reason.
According to the American Humane Association, one in 10 pets are given up six months after they're adopted from a shelter, with destructive behaviors and disobedience cited in the top reasons why they're returned.
RELATED: Owning a dog can make you live longer. Science says soOwning a dog can make you live longer. Science says so
Kate running into Winnie was – dare we say it – an act of destiny.
Winnie was also introduced to Kate's dog, Foxy.
Kate's story resonated with other dog-owners and dog-lovers on Twitter.
Kate was also inspired by her own experience.
Taking a dog into your home also gives the dog a safe space to stay in until they're adopted. Sometimes a rescue group doesn't have space, so they rely people to take in dogs out of the goodness of their hearts. Other times, a dog is just too young to go into a shelter.
Fostering a dog can make all the difference in the life of a troubled pooch. It can help a dog iron out behavior issues, making them more likely to be accepted into their new home. Currently, 44% of households have dogs, and 23% of dogs were obtained through an animal shelter or humane society.
And sometimes it has a happy ending, like this story.
- https://www.upworthy.com/the-measles-outbreak-has-hit-new-york ... ›
- 9 things to know about kids in foster care. Plus an unforgettable view ... ›
- Dog Reunites With Foster Mom | Mix 94.1 ›
- 2019 Rescue Reunion & Meet-up | NorCal GSP Rescue ›
- Dog Has Sweetest Reunion With Orphan Puppy She Raised ›
- Reunion Rescue-Saving Pit Bulls One Dog at a Time ›
- Mother of baby killed by dog in foster care thought family would be ... ›
- Rescue Dog Reunited With The Foster Mom Who Never Gave Up ... ›
- Second City Canine Rescue Reunion 2019 Registration, Sun, Aug ... ›
- Dog Reunited With Foster Mom For The First Time Since Her ... ›
- Foster Dog Failure Becomes Best Dog Reunion Ever! The ... ›
- Top 10 Reasons to Foster a Pet | Best Friends Animal Society ›
- Why I foster dogs | MNN - Mother Nature Network ›
- 8 Reasons Why You Should Foster Animals | PetSafe® Articles ›
- Why Fostering Dogs and Cats is So Important and How You Can Get ... ›
- 16 Reasons Why Fostering A Shelter Pet Is Basically The Best Thing ... ›
- Why Foster A Dog and What Does It Entail? | Petfinder ›
- Foster | Lucky Dog Animal Rescue ›
- Pets Available for Fostering | PAWS Chicago ›
- Rescue Stories of New Foster Dogs & Reunions of Recovered ... ›