Canada just passed the “Free Willy” bill, making it illegal to keep dolphins and whales in captivity.
A historic win.
In a historic win for cetaceans and animal-rights activists, Canada is banning the practice of keeping whales, dolphins, and porpoises in captivity.
Remember the scene in Free Willy when the Orca who had been living in an amusement park finally leapt into the wide open ocean and the whole audience cheered? Well, that iconic scene is taking on new significance in Canada this week, as the nation's House of Commons just passed a bill making it illegal to keep dolphins, whales, and porpoises in captivity for breeding or entertainment purposes.
Bill S-203, or The Ending the Captivity of Whales and Dolphins Act (known colloquially as the "Free Willy Act") means anyone found capturing the animals, holding them captive, or procuring their embryos or sperm, can be fined up to $200,000.
- Believe there's nothing left in nature that can surprise you? Guess ... ›
- How SeaWorld's empire collapsed — a tragedy in 3 acts. - Upworthy ›
- In just 4 words, Harry Styles undid SeaWorld's expensive, dishonest ... ›
- Here are just 3 of the *smaller* lies SeaWorld makes its employees ... ›
- Fate of orcas in captivity - Whale & Dolphin Conservation USA ›
- Canada: 'Free Willy' bill bans dolphin and whale captivity | News | Al ... ›
- Canada to ban keeping whales, dolphins in captivity ›
- Earth - Why killer whales should not be kept in captivity - BBC ›
- Orcas don't do well in captivity. Here's why. ›
- 'Free Willy' ban, making it illegal to hold dolphins, whales in captivity ›
- Humane Society International/Canada hails landmark victory as ... ›
- Canada bans whale, dolphin captivity | TheHill ›
- 'Free Willy' bill: Canada bans whale and dolphin captivity and ... ›
- Canada passes 'Free Willy' bill banning whale and dolphin captivity ... ›