Sometimes the most advanced forms of technology are also the simplest. The LightSail 2, a satellite conceived by Bill Nye's non-profit Planetary Society, has proven that a satellite can orbit the Earth fueled completely by the sun. The concept, dreamed up 400 years ago by Johannes Kepler, has finally become a reality.
MISSION SUCCESS! We just raised our orbit around Earth using sunlight alone, something that’s never been done bef… https://t.co/0x09DKXolT— Planetary Society (@Planetary Society)1564599961.0
The LightSail 2 doesn't run on solar panels but instead solar sailing – an entirely different concept. It's kind of like a sailboat, but instead of using wind to make it move, it's powered by photon particles from the sun that bounce off of a sail made from a large reflective surface. The photon particles give it a "tiny push no stronger than the weight of a paperclip," Nye told CNN.
- https://www.upworthy.com/a-step-by-step-guide-to-screwing-over-a ... ›
- 21 pieces of photographic evidence that prove the March for ... ›
- Bill Nye explains LightSail 2, a solar-powered spacecraft ›
- Georgia Tech Satellite Successfully Launched Into Space ›
- Bill Nye's Crowdfunded LightSail Can Revolutionize Space ... ›
- Bill Nye Explains LightSail 2, the Planetary Society's Solar Sailing ... ›
- Bill Nye and Planetary Society Can't Wait for New Spacecraft to Sail ... ›
- Bill Nye's experimental spacecraft that sails on sunlight declares ... ›
- SpaceX's Falcon Heavy Launches 24 Satellites And Bill Nye Project ... ›
- LightSail | The Planetary Society ›
- Bill Nye's experimental satellite finally sails on the solar wind | PBS ... ›
- Now you can check in on Bill Nye's solar sail as it orbits Earth - The ... ›