This Maasai woman is transforming genital cutting rituals into ceremonies celebrating girls’ dreams.
She's helped save 17,000 girls from female genital mutilation.
She was just 8 years old when she was supposed to under go "the cut."
Nice Leng'ete and her 10-year-old sister woke up early the morning of their cutting ceremony. They took the cold shower meant to serve as their only anesthesia before having their clitorises removed. Then they quietly slipped out of their Kenyan village and ran through the bush to their aunt's house 40 miles away.
They had seen other girls in their village get cut, heard their cries of pain, seen some faint and even die. They didn't want to go through that themselves.
A week later, the girls were found, brought home, beaten, and threatened. They were told they would not be real women if they did not get cut. They would not be able to marry, and would bring shame upon their family.
- Janelle Monáe's video caused a stir, but you probably missed this ... ›
- 5 million Indian women just made a 385-mile human chain for equality. ›
- 5 men watch something horrifying that's being done to girls. Here's ... ›
- 2 women make a disturbing topic easier to understand via decorated ... ›
- Female genital mutilation (FGM) frequently asked questions ... ›
- What is FGM | End FGM ›
- Federal Ban on Female Genital Mutilation Ruled Unconstitutional by ... ›
- The Truth About Female Genital Mutilation - YouTube ›
- Female genital mutilation or cutting | womenshealth.gov ›
- Female Genital Mutilation: What It Does To A Woman : Goats and ... ›
- Shocker: Trump and Barr refuse to defend ban on female genital ... ›
- Female genital mutilation ›
- Female genital mutilation - Wikipedia ›
- The Maasai Culture and Traditions - Maasai Wilderness Conservation ›
- Maasai people - Wikipedia ›