5 men watch something horrifying that's being done to girls. Here's how they reacted.
Female genital mutilation is a human rights violation that occurs too often. Here's how five men reacted to watching a documentary about FGM.
Female genital mutilation is a worldwide issue.
Female genital mutilation, also known as FGM or FGC (female genital cutting), is performed in several African countries and parts of the Middle East, and less frequently in Malaysia, Indonesia, India, and Pakistan. It also occurs in the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Europe — despite being illegal in many places.
According to WomensHealth.gov: "It is estimated that between 100 million and 140 million girls and women worldwide have received FGC. There are more than 3 million girls at risk of having FGC each year. It is unknown how many women in the United States have received FGC."
Organizations that actively condemn FGM as a human rights violation:
- The World Health Organization
- United Nations Human Rights Council
- The American Medical Association
Female genital mutilation causes lifelong problems.
FGM can cause many long-term health problems, including the following:
- Problems going to the bathroom
- Not being able to have sex normally
- Problems with gynecological health
- Increased risk of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including HIV
- Problems getting pregnant, and problems during pregnancy and labor
- Psychological and emotional stress
We might not be personally familiar with FGM.
But it's something worth being aware of and speaking out against. The five guys in this video got a quick education by watching clips from a few documentaries.
FGM is wrong.
In addition to all of the long-term and serious issues listed above, it causes an extreme amount of pain. After watching the documentary clips, the men were disturbed, as anyone should be.