It broke my heart to listen to this speech. But I stand by everything he said.
"We have actually damaged our reputation as a force for good in the world." That quote just made my heart break. This speech says everytihng I want to say, though.
10 best quotes from Sen. John McCain's speech on the CIA interrogation report
1. On knowing the truth:
2. On the VALUE of knowing the truth for America, and for the world:
3. On how awkward it is that America basically WROTE the human rights protections against torture ... and then violated them:
4. On the prevalence of misinformation:
If SENATORS, powerful humans who have access to a lot of info and advice, are affected by misinformation, think about the average American!
5. On what wasn't worth giving up:
6. Our most important intelligence in the post-9/11 years (what led us to Bin Laden) came from conventional interrogation.
7. Torture isn't even about our enemies. It's about us as America and what we want that to mean.
I loved this quote.
8. What *is* America anyway? What are we fighting for?
An idea that all men are endowed by their Creator with inalienable rights.
9. On what *should be* the difference between us and the bad guys:
10. Lately, I've been really hesitant to believe that America is the exception, especially hearing all the bad things we've done. But McCain still believes. And I know it's not cool, but I kind of agree with him!
When given the opportunity to be different, stronger, and better ... America should've TAKEN IT.
Wait. I liked that first part, too. I wanna make it bigger.
Watch the rest of the speech above! And if you want to read it, check out the transcript below!