Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has called out the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol for fostering a "violent culture" after a ProPublica report revealed border patrol agents were sharing violent, threatening posts about her in a popular secret Facebook group.
The posts about AOC came on the heels of her visit today to Trump's detention center/concentration camps, including one in Clint, Texas, where agents have been accused of keeping children in inhumane, neglectful conditions. The ProPublica article included screenshots of sexist, xenophobic and threatening posts and memes from the group, targeting AOC and other congresspeople as well as horrific memes and comments joking about dead migrants. The group, which is called "I'm 10-15"(10-15 is apparently code for "aliens in custody"), has about 9,500 members from across the U.S.) and, according to the intro, is a "funny" and "serious" place to discuss working with the U.S. Border Patrol.
This just broke: a secret Facebook group of 9,500 CBP officers discussed making a GoFundMe for officers to harm mys… https://t.co/OmNc0p6MYT— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) 1561997503
9,500 CBP officers sharing memes about dead migrants and discussing violence and sexual misconduct towards members… https://t.co/1bjaRUqOAN— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) 1561997743
The report prompted an apology from the official Twitter account of U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency, who called the posts "completely inappropriate and contrary to the honor and integrity" they apparently expect from their agents.
Today, CBP was made aware of disturbing social media activity hosted on a private Facebook group that may include a… https://t.co/7aqUQzOg1Z— CBP (@CBP) 1562004703
.@USBPChief: These posts are completely inappropriate and contrary to the honor and integrity I see—and expect—from… https://t.co/Wc9N30xoxP— CBP (@CBP) 1562004703
U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, interestingly, has not apologized for the continuing reports of human rights abuses in these camps or the rising death toll of children. They have also not responded to the many people calling for the agents posting in this group to be fired.
@CBP @Susan_Hennessey Buck stops with you, Sir. Fire them. They do not and must not represent America.— BlessYourHeart (@BlessYourHeart) 1562005331
@CBP Every member of that private Facebook group should be fired. In fact, the whole of CBP should be abolished.— Insidious Tremor (@Insidious Tremor) 1562007330
The threats did not dissuade AOC from visiting the detention camps along with Congresswoman Madeleine Dean, who called the conditions "far worse than we ever could have imagined" and described the situation as a "human rights crisis."
Just left the first CBP facility. The conditions are far worse than we ever could have imagined. 15 women in thei… https://t.co/SnUxCYvXVi— Congresswoman Madeleine Dean (@Congresswoman Madeleine Dean) 1562009867
AOC's tweets about her experience should shake you down to your very core.
Now I’ve seen the inside of these facilities. It’s not just the kids. It’s everyone. People drinking out of toilet… https://t.co/lh2kEgyM05— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) 1562006555
After I forced myself into a cell w/ women&began speaking to them, one of them described their treatment at the han… https://t.co/4rz0woL3RH— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) 1562006950
What’s haunting is that the women I met with today told me in no uncertain terms that they would experience retribu… https://t.co/V6GBsH9zty— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) 1562015288
This news is horrifying and sickening beyond belief but it's important that we keep reading about it, talking about it, tweeting and yelling and screaming about it. We can't turn our backs on this crisis or we are all complicit.
This article originally appeared on SomeeCards. You can read it here.
- https://www.upworthy.com/mommy-milk-factory 2019-06-01T00:58 ... ›
- With Trump's travel ban still in flux, these lawyers created a brilliant ... ›
- The Mexican Supreme Court's marijuana ruling could save lives on ... ›
- AOC reveals she is sexual assault survivor in harrowing new video on Capitol attack - Upworthy ›
- Border Patrol Agents Have a Secret Facebook Group, Where ... ›
- After secret Border Patrol Facebook page is exposed, AOC tours the ... ›
- AOC ripped by Obama-era Border Patrol chief for 'reckless' rhetoric ›
- In secret Facebook group, Border Patrol agents mocked migrant ... ›
- Border Patrol Agents Post Racist, Sexist AOC Memes on Facebook ›
- Border Patrol agents joke migrant deaths, AOC in secret Facebook ... ›
- Border Patrol: Secret Facebook page mocking AOC and migrant ... ›
- AOC paints grim picture of U.S. migrant detention centers ›
- AOC says migrants forced to drink toilet water after tense border visit ›
- AOC screamed at Border Patrol agents in 'threatening manner ... ›