Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has called out the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol for fostering a "violent culture" after a ProPublica report revealed border patrol agents were sharing violent, threatening posts about her in a popular secret Facebook group.
The posts about AOC came on the heels of her visit today to Trump's detention center/concentration camps, including one in Clint, Texas, where agents have been accused of keeping children in inhumane, neglectful conditions. The ProPublica article included screenshots of sexist, xenophobic and threatening posts and memes from the group, targeting AOC and other congresspeople as well as horrific memes and comments joking about dead migrants. The group, which is called "I'm 10-15"(10-15 is apparently code for "aliens in custody"), has about 9,500 members from across the U.S.) and, according to the intro, is a "funny" and "serious" place to discuss working with the U.S. Border Patrol.
The report prompted an apology from the official Twitter account of U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency, who called the posts "completely inappropriate and contrary to the honor and integrity" they apparently expect from their agents.
U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, interestingly, has not apologized for the continuing reports of human rights abuses in these camps or the rising death toll of children. They have also not responded to the many people calling for the agents posting in this group to be fired.
The threats did not dissuade AOC from visiting the detention camps along with Congresswoman Madeleine Dean, who called the conditions "far worse than we ever could have imagined" and described the situation as a "human rights crisis."
AOC's tweets about her experience should shake you down to your very core.
This news is horrifying and sickening beyond belief but it's important that we keep reading about it, talking about it, tweeting and yelling and screaming about it. We can't turn our backs on this crisis or we are all complicit.
This article originally appeared on SomeeCards. You can read it here.
- https://www.upworthy.com/mommy-milk-factory 2019-06-01T00:58 ... ›
- With Trump's travel ban still in flux, these lawyers created a brilliant ... ›
- The Mexican Supreme Court's marijuana ruling could save lives on ... ›
- Border Patrol Agents Have a Secret Facebook Group, Where ... ›
- After secret Border Patrol Facebook page is exposed, AOC tours the ... ›
- AOC ripped by Obama-era Border Patrol chief for 'reckless' rhetoric ›
- In secret Facebook group, Border Patrol agents mocked migrant ... ›
- Border Patrol Agents Post Racist, Sexist AOC Memes on Facebook ›
- Border Patrol agents joke migrant deaths, AOC in secret Facebook ... ›
- Border Patrol: Secret Facebook page mocking AOC and migrant ... ›
- AOC paints grim picture of U.S. migrant detention centers ›
- AOC says migrants forced to drink toilet water after tense border visit ›
- AOC screamed at Border Patrol agents in 'threatening manner ... ›