This store's hilarious plastic bag designs will ensure you never forget your reusable tote at home.
I'm going to take a second to tell you something about me, a stranger you have never met before: I am literally melting right now. In San Francisco, where I live, there has been no fog for days. Only sweltering, record-breaking heat that makes me want to lie down and not talk to anyone until the rains have come.
Perhaps you're in the same situation. Or maybe it's cool where you are now but you've read a recent paper that outlines the loss of life that will occur if we continue on our collision course with catastrophic climate change. Either way, you're looking at the situation and thinking: This is not normal.
One thing to consider is how plastic consumption contributes to pollution and warming. According to the organizers of Earth Day, Americans buy 1,000,000 plastic bottles every minute. We toss trillions of plastic bags every year. And all that plastic ends up polluting waterways, hurting animals, and releasing greenhouse gases as it breaks down.
While we could speak about the problem with plastics until the earth is covered in it, the only way to take this issue on is through direct action. That's why East/West Market in Vancouver, British Columbia decided to have a little fun with customers who don't bring reusable bags to the store. They've foregone the usual "thank you" bag with something...a little more exotic. You want a plastic bag with your purchase? You're going to have to sport one that announces that you've just bought wart ointment wholesale or are fresh from a deep and hydrating colonic.
That's one way to bring our environmental issues into stark relief. The only problem, Boing Boing reports, is that the bags have become too popular for their own good. Well, maybe just print these designs on reusable bags and sell them. No one will forget them at home and we'll be one step closer to a healthier environment. Win-win.
- A rover dived to the bottom of the ocean — again. 15 photos show ... ›
- This young inventor's brilliant device could remove tons of garbage ... ›
- It sucks, but it's time to ditch plastic straws. Seattle's going to make it ... ›
- This beer's packaging isn't hurting turtles, it's feeding them. - Upworthy ›
- She helped unlock mysteries of one of earth's most remote, beautiful ... ›
- A brewery designed a genius new six-pack that solves a big ... ›
- Starbucks is ditching straws. Here are 5 other ways to keep plastic ... ›
- It may sound weird, but Lego is quietly trying to ditch plastics ... ›
- Plastic trash is gross. These hungry caterpillars might be able to ... ›
- Disney's plastic straw ban kind of sucks. Here are 4 better ideas ... ›
- Where are Plastic Bags Banned Around the World ... ›
- Oregon lawmakers vote to ban single-use plastic bags | kgw.com ›
- Grocer designed embarrassing plastic bags to shame shoppers into ... ›
- Plastic Bags to Be Banned in New York; Second Statewide Ban ... ›
- What's So Bad About Plastic Bags? - One Green PlanetOne Green ... ›
- Plastic Bags - The New York Times ›
- Oregon on its way to banning plastic bags - oregonlive.com ›
- Are Plastic Bag Bans Garbage? : Planet Money : NPR ›
- Plastic Bags Bulk: Amazon.com ›
- Plastic bag - Wikipedia ›