17 comics that illustrate the tricky relationship between your heart and brain.
Our hearts and our brains don't always get along.
In fact, you might say they're like "The Odd Couple" — opposites in almost every way, but they happen to live in the same house. This opposition, however, is what makes the duo so dynamic, hence why Nick Seluk, creator of "The Awkward Yeti" comic series, gave them their own spotlight.
When your heart and your brain aren't on the same page, it can feel like the worst thing ever. How can you make a decision when your heart and your head want different things? The escapades of Heart and Brain in Seluk's comics often reflect his own experiences and will likely reflect some of yours too.
While the comics may at times poke fun at the internal decision-making process, underneath the jokes are important life lessons of which we could all use reminding. Only listening to one of them and ignoring the other is a good way to get into trouble. Both are important parts of you.
Here are 17 Heart and Brain comics to give you some perspective on what's going on inside you.
1. When your heart wants you to post that important opinion on the internet, maybe listen to your brain.
2. When your brain wants to feed you depressing research about delicious food, maybe listen to your heart.
3. Or when your heart just wants to look like everyone else, remember that your brain is what makes you special.
4. Sometimes your brain wants to remind you of the futility of the human experience. Try listening to your heart for a different view.
5. In fact, take a look at the universe while you're at it. If your brain gets overwhelmed, let your heart take the reins.
5. Back on Earth, when your heart finally gets your brain to take that trip, you'll likely face this dilemma.
7. And when you come home, your heart and brain might be even more split than usual.
8. Enter the awful side effects of jet lag!
9. And you know what's right behind jet lag? The vicious cycle that is anxiety!
10. This is when it would be wise to take Heart's advice: Live in the moment rather than dwell on the past (or future).
11. Because we all know this quote is true, even if Heart stole it from a movie.
12. As good as indulging in the whims of your heart can feel, at the end of a long day, it's important to check back in with your brain.
13. Because you know once your heart starts feeling things, it's hard for your brain to stop it.
14. That's why sometimes your brain needs to call in reinforcements.
15. Of course, those reinforcements don't always work.
16. But don't be fooled. Your brain has a ton of power all on its own. Just not enough power to fix everything.
17. Your heart's no slouch, either. With a little compromise and working together, both your heart and brain can win.
The escapades of Heart and Brain put a lot of things in perspective, especially for their creator.
"Drawing out the comics has, since the beginning, been a very self-therapeutic process," Seluk wrote in an email. "Heart has kind of been leading me in that direction, helping me to take more risks and do things I might not have done otherwise."
Like any great pair, however, your heart is not complete without your brain. You may not always feel like they're working together, but at least you know they're trying.