Just imagine being an 11-year-old boy who's been shuffled through the foster care system. No forever home. No forever family. No idea where you'll be living or who will take care of you in the near future.
Then, a loving couple takes you under their care and chooses to love you forever.
What could one be more thankful for?
That's why when a fifth grader at Deerfield Elementary School in Cedar Hills, Utah was asked by his substitute teacher what he's thankful for this Thanksgiving, he said finally being adopted by his two dads.
To the child's shock, the teacher replied, "that's nothing to be thankful for," and then went on a rant in front of 30 students saying that "two men living together is a sin" and "homosexuality is wrong."
While the boy sat there embarrassed, three girls in the class stood up for him by walking out of the room to tell the principal. Shortly after, the substitute was then escorted out of the building.
While on her way out she scolded the boy, saying it was his fault she was removed.
One of the boy's parents-to-be is Louis van Amstel, is a former dancer on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars." "It's absolutely ridiculous and horrible what she did," he told The Salt Lake Tribune. "We were livid. It's 2019 and this is a public school."
The boy told his parents-to-be he didn't speak up in the classroom because their final adoption hearing is December 19 and he didn't want to do anything that would interfere.
He had already been through two failed adoptions and didn't want it to happen again.
A spokesperson for the Alpine School District didn't go into detail about the situation but praised the students who spoke out.
"Fellow students saw a need, and they were able to offer support," David Stephenson said. "It's awesome what happened as far as those girls coming forward."
He also said that "appropriate action has been taken" with the substitute teacher.
"We are concerned about any reports of inappropriate behavior and take these matters very seriously," Kelly Services, the school the contracts out substitute teachers for the district, said in a statement. "We conduct business based on the highest standards of integrity, quality, and professional excellence. We're looking into this situation."
After the incident made the news, the soon-to-be adoptive parents' home was covered in paper hearts that said, "We love you" and "We support you."
Religion is supposed to make us better people.
But what have here is clearly a situation where a woman's judgement about what is good and right was clouded by bigoted dogma. She was more bothered by the idea of two men loving each other than the act of pure love they committed when choosing to adopt a child.
- Education Blogger Fired for Writing About Homophones and ... ›
- Utah Teacher Kicked Out of School After Homophobic Rant About ... ›
- How Utah's Schools Went From Homophobic War Zones to ... ›
- Homophobic Utah teacher sacked after telling 11-year-old boy that ... ›
- Elementary school substitute teacher removed over 'homophobic ... ›
- Utah substitute told boy two-dad adoption was 'nothing to be ... ›
- One fifth grader was thankful for two dads. That triggered this ... ›
- Teacher Fired After Criticizing Student Who Expressed Thanks For ... ›
- Plucky Utah Fifth Graders Take On Homophobic Substitute Teacher ... ›
- Utah teacher kicked out after homophobic rant about student's gay ... ›