Music savant Kodi Lee performs stunning David Bowie cover on 'America's Got Talent'
Lee gave the lyrics to "Heroes" a whole new meaning.
Within weeks of his first audition, the musical savant became a viral sensation—wowing judges and audiences alike with his almost supernatural musical abilities.
Though legally blind and diagnosed with autism at an early age, Lee easily masters multiple styles of music and has been blessed with a rare "audio photographic" memory, meaning he can recall music he hears after just one listen, according to his website.
The lyrics to “Heroes” were inspired by a real-life couple Bowie would see every day outside his apartment window in Berlin in 1976. The Thin White Duke had become creatively burnt out in Los Angeles, but after witnessing the lovers meet every day to share a kiss under a gun turret on The Berlin Wall, his mojo was recovered, and he went on to create what would be one of his most enduring songs. Though originally intended as a love story, “Heroes” encapsulated much bigger themes of the time, even becoming forever linked with the dismantling of the infamous Berlin Wall.
Similarly, judge Simon Cowell remarked that Lee’s rendition gave the lyrics “whole new meaning” after his performance.
“You have this real gift and every time you perform there’s just silence. Everyone’s focused, and then they’re listening to every word and then we’re wondering what you’re gonna do with the song. And then you hit those big notes, and you’re so cool, and just so brilliant,” he said.
Howie Mendel echoed the sentiment, saying, “The lyric is ‘We can be heroes just for one day,’ and Kodi, you are a hero every day.”
Watch the All-Star performance that received a standing ovation below. Somewhere, David Bowie is smiling while listening to this.
- 13-year-old ventriloquist sings incredible, sassy version of 'You Don't Own Me' on 'AGT' ›
- Simon Cowell gets drilled for mocking 'AGT' cellists who want to be dentists, not stars ›
- Kid dance group from Ukraine returns to 'America's Got Talent' with stunning performance ›
- How Jason Padgett developed Acquired Savant Syndrome - Upworthy ›
- Trent Toney sings original song for ex-wife on 'AGT' - Upworthy ›
- Timothy Fletcher plays drums on 'America's Got Talent' - Upworthy ›