Confession: I watch this video whenever I need a laugh. It's a tongue-in-cheek but oh-so-true depiction of what women have to go through in the music business that happens to be really funny. Except when you remember it's also really real.
We could talk about exploitation, hypersexualization, commoditization, and a whole bunch of other big words to describe the unhealthy environment for women that is today's music industry. Or we could just listen to Erykah Badu. The short video at the bottom is a must watch, but here are the pretty simple steps she outlines for how make it in the music business as a woman:
1. Get breast implants.
2. Get butt implants.
3. Buy a new scalp. Hair extensions are so early 2000s.
4. Get calf implants.
5. Wear stilettos. This is apparently a must. The taller the better.
6. Do some "ho sh*t." (Uh, I'll let you decide what that means to you...)
7. Kiss another woman.
8. Just be naked.
9. Sell super deluxe tampons.
10. After all of that, try to squeeze in some actual music...
...wherever and however you can.
Those steps to mainstream music success sound totally reasonable right? Riiiight. Go ahead and listen to Erykah's take on it all. And then go burn all of your old CDs to stick it to The Man. (Who, by the way, runs the sexist entertainment industry with his all of his man buddies. Can't you tell?)