Hearing These Kittens Talk (Yes, Talk) Was The Most Smile-Inducing 30 Seconds Of My Day
When choosing to adopt a cat, you're not only rescuing one of them, but you're potentially saving hundreds. When you buy a cat or dog, it increases the demand for the cruel cat and puppy mills that supply them. Choose a rescue shelter or an adoption center instead — they're full of beautiful, healthy cats and dogs. You'll be sure to find one with a personality to match your own.
FACT CHECK TIME:
THE SAD NEWS:
- 6 million to 8 million cats and dogs enter shelters each year, according to the ASPCA.
- So there's no need to breed more.
- 3 million to 4 million cats and dogs are adopted each year from shelters, according to the Humane Society.
- So if we do the math, we know what happens to the rest.
BUT WE CAN FIX THIS:
- By spaying and neutering our pets. One unspayed cat and her offspring can produce up to 420,000 kittens in 7 years, according to the Oxford-Lafayette Humane Society.
- By adopting cats and dogs from shelters, instead of from breeders.