ALL KINDS OF WRONG: CNN Pays Touching Tribute To The Rapists Who Attacked A 16-Year-Old Girl
CNN took an interesting angle on the Stuebenville rape verdict. They focused on the convicted rapists, and their lost potential, in what I can only assume was an attempt to milk the drama for ratings. The rapists may have to do a WHOLE YEAR in prison, just because they and some of their buddies drugged and repeatedly raped a 16-year-old girl, then dumped her in a yard and urinated on her. (Had they been tried as adults, they would have gotten 5-12 years, which also isn't nearly enough, but I digress.)You'll notice how little they actually mention the victim. Sigh.
- At 1:20, Poppy discusses the rapists' impressive resumes.
- At 1:54, Poppy says alcohol was a factor in their decision to rape.
- At 2:20, Poppy speaks as though they are brave for apologizing.
- At 3:27, Poppy tries to make us feel bad for them some more.
- At 4:34, Candy makes a passing mention of the actual victim, then gets to the important part: asking how the conviction will make the rapists' lives harder.
- And at 5:18, they report that some sex offenders will have to be registered as sex offenders. Shocked, I say, shocked.
If you want something actually productive to do with your anger after watching CNN's awful coverage, then sign this petition to educate high school coaches on sexual assault, so they in turn can educate their players. And then please share this so they never report like this again.
UPDATE: I've seen a post from someone who shared this stating that one of the newscasters should see what it's like to be sexually assaulted. If you write something like that, you are part of the problem. This isn't about vengeance, this is about holding people accountable and getting them to cover these cases with more substance. Please be respectful when you comment, and do not threaten people.