Science smarts are super sexy.
Dancing, singing, baton-twirling—when it comes to the talent portion of beauty pageants, we generally know what to expect.
But Camille Schrier turned that standard on its head when she performed an explosive science experiment for her talent in the Miss Virginia 2019 competition. The 24-year-old biochemist demonstrated and explained the catalytic decomposition of hydrogen peroxide, a chemical reaction that happens when a catalyst (potassium iodide in this case) comes into contact with hydrogen peroxide. Schrier mixed the chemicals in three large flasks on a table, making colored foam spout high into the air and land in goopy piles on the stage.
How Miss Virginia Won Her Crown Thanks to Science www.youtube.com
- Richmond woman named Miss Virginia 2019 at Liberty University ... ›
- Richmond woman performs science experiment onstage, wins Miss ... ›
- Miss Virginia - Miss Virginia ›
- The newly crowned Miss Virginia did a science experiment for her ... ›
- Miss Virginia Camille Schrier Showed Off Her Mad Science Skills as ... ›
- Camille Schrier Wins Miss Virginia Crown With Colorful Chemistry ... ›
- Spotlight on Systems Biology Student Camille Schrier | AIS | Virginia ... ›
- 'I'm trying to be like Bill Nye': How Camille Schrier's interest in ... ›
- Camille Schrier (@camilleschrier) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Scientist Camille Schrier wins Miss Virginia by 'breaking stereotypes ... ›