St. Louis churches found a brilliant way to eliminate $12.9 million in medical debt for more than 11,000 families
Medical debt is a huge problem in America. It's estimated that 43 million Americans owe $75 billion in past-due medical bills.
Medical debt is highest in states that refused to expand Medicaid through the Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. Obamacare).
Studies show that in states that expanded Medicaid through the ACA, the percentage of nonelderly, low-income adults with medical debt dropped from 43% to 30% from 2012 to 2015. In states that did not, the number only fell 7%.
- Donations wipe away $13 million in medical debt for St. Louis families ›
- St. Louis donations wipe away $13 million in medical debt | News ... ›
- United Church of Christ wipes out medical debt for over 11K St ... ›
- Church bodies forgive millions in medical debt for 11,108 St. Louis ... ›
- St. Louis donations wipe away $13 million in medical debt - ABC News ›
- St. Louis churches buy up $12.9 million in medical debt, then give it ... ›