A massive win for transgender people everywhere!
The United Nations health agency said the change would improve social acceptance.
Being transgender will no longer be classified as a mental illness by the World Health Organization (WHO), USA Today reported.
WHO adopted the eleventh edition of its International Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) on May 25 in which "gender incongruence" — the organization's designation for people whose gender identity is separate from the gender they were assigned at birth — will now be classified as a sexual health condition.
- 5 ways to support your trans friends when they come out. - Upworthy ›
- I was afraid to come out as transgender. My mom's response gives ... ›
- It's time to stand up for trans people. Here are 21 ways to show your ... ›
- Why this man pleaded innocent after killing a transgender woman is ... ›
- The next time someone says trans people shouldn't get to play ... ›
- This university's transgender bathroom signs are on point. - Upworthy ›