Premenstrual food cravings are the punchline of endless jokes. Like most good jokes, they're funny because they're true.
Certain parts of a woman's menstrual cycle do seem to go hand in hand with the desire for chocolate ice cream and potato chips. I hear about this every day from my OBGYN patients.
Researchers have studied food cravings for years; one of the most cited studies dates back to 1953. Scientists – and lots of others – want to know who has food cravings and why, what they crave, when they crave it and how to minimize the cravings. Here's what the research has found.
Craving and eating before a period
Food cravings are just one of the many symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, also known as PMS. PMS is likely caused by hormonal fluctuations and how they affect chemical messengers in the brain called neurotransmitters. Its symptoms are exclusive to the second half of the menstrual cycle. This luteal phase of the cycle starts with the release of the egg at ovulation and ends when a period begins. The symptoms usually resolve around the third or fourth day of menstruation.
- How Do 1 In Every 8 Americans Pay For Dinner? - Upworthy ›
- They Agreed To Die Early If They Could Have 'The Perfect Body ... ›
- New York restaurateur eliminates bad tippers in his restaurants with ... ›
- It can be tough for kids to talk to parents. So they're putting their ... ›
- Weird restrictions on SNAP benefits will humiliate people. Like being ... ›
- Painfully hilarious and embarrassing stories of first periods. Perfect ... ›
- Here's what it's like to live with a period disorder — and why we ... ›
- 6 Tricks to Outsmart Crazy Period Cravings - Shape Magazine | Shape ›
- Bad News: The Sugar Cravings Around Your Period Are Actually ... ›
- Menstrual cycle food cravings and what they mean - 9Coach ›
- Why You Get Sugar Cravings Before Your Period | Reader's Digest ›
- Compulsive Eating Before Your Period: What You Should Know ›
- Is It Normal to Crave Certain Foods on Your Period? ›
- Compulsive eating before a period: Is it normal and how to avoid? ›
- en-us/periods/pms/top-tips-to-beat-pms-cravings ›
- Why You Have Food Cravings On Your Period | Women's Health ›
- How To Deal With Period Cravings | HuffPost Australia ›