On an old episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in July 1992, Oprah put her audience through a social experiment that puts racism in a new light. Despite being nearly two decades old, it's as relevant today as ever.
She split the audience members into two groups based on their eye color. Those with brown eyes were given preferential treatment by getting to cut the line and given refreshments while they waited to be seated. Those with blue eyes were made to put on a green collar and wait in a crowd for two hours.
Staff were instructed to be extra polite to brown-eyed people and to discriminate against blue-eyed people. Her guest for that day's show was diversity expert Jane Elliott, who helped set up the experiment and played along, explaining that brown-eyed people were smarter than blue-eyed people.
Watch the video to see how this experiment plays out.
Oprah's Social Experiment on Her Audience www.youtube.com
- On May 28, 2014, Maya Angelou passed away. But she still lives on ... ›
- These 10 beautiful murals show how a once violent town found ... ›
- 9 emotional tributes from real people to their beloved pets. - Upworthy ›
- Mary Tyler Moore has passed away at 80 but leaves behind a ... ›
- Meet 8 precious kids who have rare diseases — and learn all about ... ›
- Over 30 and still struggling? Read this hopeful Melissa McCarthy ... ›
- 3 misguided reasons to get married, 1 really great one, and real talk ... ›
- 5 quotes from Oprah's new series that will inspire you and start your ... ›
- The story behind Drew Brees' birthmark, and why he'll never get it ... ›
- Banned From The Front Row At Oprah Because They Had The ... ›
- Oprah's Amazing Racism Experiment - The Shona Project ›
- Oprah Winfrey's Best Talk Show Moments - Biography ›
- Educator Jane Elliott Talks Trump, Kaepernick and Fixing Racism ›
- Race on The Oprah Show: A 25-Year Look Back ›
- Jada Pinkett Smith and Jane Elliott Discuss Race on Red Table Talk ›
- Jane Elliott - Wikipedia ›
- Jane Elliott's Experiment That Transformed the 'Oprah Show' - Video ›
- Oprah's Social Experiment on Her Audience - YouTube ›
- The Daring Racism Experiment That People Still Talk About 20 ... ›
- The Anti-Racism Experiment That Transformed an Oprah Show ... ›